Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Very sorry to hear about your spill.

Medical technology has vastly improved, they can put you back together better than before.

If there is ANYTHING we can do as a group here on GGR.org, let us know.

Girard

Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM

Maybe you were jetted just a little too crisp ... hey, I'm glad to hear that you made it out as well as you did.

Take your time, heal up, and get back on the horse!

Steve
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Oh no. Do get well. I had my 3hun loop out on me in 3rd, was not goin very fast, but damn these bikes are strong when you get the grip on the throttle a bit off. I went from slowly cruising to nose bleeding on the ground in 1 second.

Now i was not injured in any significant way, but I was really weary to get on the bike again. Cannot imagine what kind of scare a broken back would impose.

Maybe the 300 can be a restoration project in your own recovery, a bit of tinkering clears the mind.

Good health to you. Heal up.

//thomas

Last edited by bergerhag; 10-27-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had the same injury 11 years ago.

You will heal, do exactly what the doctors say, get as much phisio as you can when you need it, and as has already been pointed out they can fix you better these days than 11yrs ago.

I personally found it easier to sell the bike, so it wasn't sitting there reminding me what happened, I took 4yrs away from bikes as I was extremely worried about the same thing happening again.

But now I'm riding again, and yes I'm not as quick and yes I do still worry abit but the joy of riding outweighs the fear, although you won't find me doing wheelies anymore.

I hope you heal quick, and above all remain positive.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Hate to hear things like this, Good luck and heal up!
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

as they say sh!t happens!!! and it could have been worse, and i bet the one you like the best is "you were lucky" (to a guy going down a straight road that resulted in a broken back!!)

hope you heal good and quick and am sure you will be back on the rubber in time
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM

I had a stuck throttle crash head on into a tree on a KTM300. Runaway 300s are scary. Strong 450s like the Husky too, even more so. 50+ mph wheelies with ease is more than I need.

Baily,

I asked about the brace because I was curious if the forces transfered to your back if you were wearing one could have been the cause of the break.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Guys,, thanks for the get-wells, the doctors said that no surgery was required to fix this, only time.

GMP,, I did not have a Leatt brace on, but a chest protector. The bike came up so fast, it was as if the throttle did stick. The straight has several small rollers on it, too far apart to be whoops, but it you go fast enough, you can double some of them which was what I was trying to do. I've been through there many times before, and know that I need to pick up speed to do it. So in 4th, the bike was already in into the mid-upper power on purpose.. As I launched off of the face of one mound, the bike stood straight up.

I'm thinking it was as fast as whatever speed 13/48 would be in the mid-upper powerband in 4th...

In slow motion, I recall still hanging onto the bars when I saw the headlight looking back at me. I let go but fell facing forward, kind of like if you were to jump on a slip'n'slide in the summertime in your yard. The ground is white hard smooth limestone, no sand..

That is what caused me to arch my back in the way it smashed my spine. My body hit the face of the next mound. I kind of ramped myself over it.

I then tumbled several times to a stop. The bike was still 30 feet farther down the trail than I was, upside down.

I'll keep the bike for now, I really cant do anything but sleep and eat a little, maybe some TV and internet. I am sleeping 15 hours out of the day with lots of help from pain meds.

I'll keep in touch here with you guys.
Thank you all again!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM

I can see that happening. Thats the thing with the 300s, a lot of extra juice to manage up top. Too much twist at the wrong time and "oh crap!" When you can spin wrenches again, get yourself a G2 throttle, that way any inadvertant twist at less than half throttle will register less in the engine room.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

Bailey,
Sorry to hear about the crash and injury. When Rod Bush was president of KTM he told he "Dirt bikes are dangerous. Be careful!" He was correct. I hope you heal quickly. Stay in touch with us through the site and let us know how your healing progresses.
Clay