Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Default What are you good at and why?

Have you ever sat down and thought about the skills you use while riding. I do and more than I would like to admit. I do find that it helps me if I analyze where I excel and where I am deficient.

I excel on downhills. The harder the better and we have plenty available here in Northern California. Part of the reason I am good at downhills stems from a ride I did up in the Shasta Trinity forest. I broke the right side foot peg mount early into the ride. Rather than sit the ride out, I clamped a full size set of Vice Grips to the frame and continued the ride, but from the rear of the pack. The Vice grips worked OK, but they presented 2 problems. #1. They stuck out twice as far as the peg. #2. The stopped the brake pedal from moving down, thus no rear brake. They has plenty of steep downhills and I learned how to maximize my braking and moved right back to the front of the pack. The forced non-use of the rear brake taught me to seek out places where my efforts were maximized.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm good at drinking beer. It takes lots of practice.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Yea, I think about it all the time. I know that I am not fast, don't like fast tracks, and would rather race or ride in 2nd through 4 gear than WFO.......still can't figure out why I raced 90% of the cross country series last year....I did it because I needed to work on my speed, flat out speed.

I wish I had more speed!

Last weekend I rode with sierrarider and his riding buddy, and those guys flat out haul the mail! Jon's freind broke the tip off of his brake pedal and was left without a brake lever...no tip, just a lever, that did not slow this guy down one bit! I would not have felt very comfortable at those speeds and terrain without the comfort of my rear brake!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM

That was a lot of fun except for that gnarly uphill rocky canyon. That was more like work! That seperated the men from the boys. Luckily we were all up to the task. You certainly held your own Rick. We will get together again and ride again!
As far as what I excel at... riding fast in transport sections and in rocks. I try to look way ahead and some guys don't turn the throttle as much. It makes for easy passing in 2 track if they don't keep crossing back and forth. What bike and setup you have contributes to your strengths. I really struggled with rocks on my KTM 200 because the deflections would knock me off line with such a light front end. I still have a lot of skills that can be honed.
'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough

Last edited by sierrarider; 04-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM

I never, ever give up. If the bike still works (sort of) and my body still works (sort of), I'll finish come hell or highwater.

Last edited by SpeedyManiac; 04-14-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM

I will try just about anything. I will go out of my comfort zone if someone eles requests me to.

But something I am really good at would be ridding in mud thats full of ruts and slick. I just love to ride mud because we always have lots of it up here in the North.

Otherthan that I dont think I have anything special because anyone can go wide open fast on old fire roads and what not. Also love whipping through long sand washes with whoops that are deep and a far way apart.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Had to think about this one for awhile, I seem to have a fairly well rounded set of skills. But if I had to nitpick I guess it would be rock gardens and technical rocks, as long as there isn't a big penalty for screwing up, like a cliff. A lot of times when there are multiple lines through rock sections, I'll take the harder line on purpose just for practice. Most of the time I'm still moving faster than the guys I'm riding with in the same section.
In rock gardens, I think I'm good at loosening up and letting the bike do what it needs to do to get through at a higher speed. That's usually were I pass most riders.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I'm good at drinking beer. It takes lots of practice.
I'm also good at this,, been off the bike for a year plus so I'm much better at this than the bike right now..

Just getting back on and I'm going to be re-learning it all again.. I still have it in my head so it should come back,,, but I need to change me style of riding.. I ride almost too aggressive and wear myself out early.. I have speed,, but not the control in the head to slow down so I'm not wiped out 1/2-3/4 through a race.. I do need to change that and try to ride smooth,, I ride with one guy who rides like he is out playing and looks like he is barley doing anything,, but he does it fast.. and I clip trees slide and muscle my way though the same spots.. kinda ugly to watch I'm sure..

So yes I think about it,,, and with being off for so long its on my mind a lot...
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM

I´m great at bike falling, some times try to descend and fall as well.
Yamaha XJ650 ´85
Montesa Enduro75L ´76
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Look guys, I have a good skill set, or I wouldn't be in the A class, but I hate to talk about it because I don't want to sound like a jerk. I generally let my riding speak for itself.

2 things that have really improved my speed without much more physical effort are cornering speed and line selection. I carry more speed into blind turns than most of my friends. So, I gotta be careful not to run them down if I'm not leading. I also ride as strait as possible. All the zig-zagging through the rocks waste time, but you need your suspension working for you. I find that it's almost as smooth and passing is way easier.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)