Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Pre race prep for the rider?

in the past couple of years i ran cross country in high school, and our coach couldnt stress enough the importance of a good warm up. people watching us would say that we were going to ware ourselves out before the race, but we never did, and we felt much better for it, so i was wondering if the same idea works for racing dirtbikes? u would stretch, sprint some, run for say 20 min. or something like that? im wondering what you do for race prep for yourself? because the way our coach explained it, what we were doing is telling our body what we were about to do to it, so that it would be prepared for it, and we felt much better throughout the race, as compared to the previous years with minimal warm up. so i guess im just wondering what you guys think of that idea.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 AM

I agree....at least for me but I'm a slow starter even trail riding or mtn. biking. Getting to the point of breaking a sweat gets the body ready and loose along with some gentle stretching (which you want to be carefull about with cold muscles) and hell if you have time to run a bit I say it can't hurt, or a bicycle ride or bring a small exercise bike to pedal away on. Getting the heart rate up and blood flowing is really helpfull to control arm pump compared with going out cold. If you cramp allot get on a program to get yourself really flexable. Also helps prevent injury.

I have no idea how some guys can get on a bike cold and go all out. I guess you can train for it to a point but I need to be all warmed up to do that. As we age (and I'm 52) it does get harder and harder to get into that zone.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Site Sponsor

i usually stretch out a bit, walk the course, then jog/walk back. you definitely want to get your heart rate up, then allow recovery time..
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM

is there anything i can do to help with arm pump? im a newb rider on a 250 so i tend to cling on for dear life, but if theres anything besides not holding so tight that would help, it would be fantastic.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
is there anything i can do to help with arm pump? im a newb rider on a 250 so i tend to cling on for dear life, but if theres anything besides not holding so tight that would help, it would be fantastic.
Not really a pre race thing, but arm exercise tends to help, push ups especially as they are easy to do. Stretching before riding. Hold on with more with your legs than your arms. The only things I can think of
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Jut an idea,
Try holding on with one finger and your thumb and have your weight forward so the v between thumb and finger is pushed into the bars.While doing this ride around being as smooth as possible.
Another thing is to actually lift fingers off the bar until only thumb and finger are there and then return to normal.
If nothing else it makes your body position better and makes you realise you don't have to hang on so tight.
Practise makes perfect.
Just relax and enjoy and it will come to you quicker.
Hope something here helps.....
Cheers Mark
Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Site Sponsor

try to not death grip so much

aside from that, massage your forearms a bunch before a race. an ibuprofen may also help..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM

It's hard to do, but you just have to try and relax, saddle time will help.
I used to get it, then as time when on, with confidence you relax on the bike. Then I started to compete and it was like I'd just started riding again.
I normally get arm pump in the first half hour, I physically say to myself "Relax and Enjoy" in my helmet, and when I do I start going faster and riding smoother.
But it is hard when the red mist comes down .
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 AM

I had someone tell me 2 days ago that one remedy for arm pump and cramping was to drink a glass of water with a couple teaspoons of baking soda mixed in the night before the race or at least a couple hours previous. Anybody ever hear of that?
He swore it was on a recent "top 10" prerace list in a magazine or on a website recently.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Site Sponsor

i also make sure the glove velcro strap is loose, and my jersey is not tight on my arm - anything that can restrict bloodflow will cause arm pump...