Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

A Primo iced coffee,steak & cheese pie (no mince,it's high in fat) & a couple of walks to the toilet & back works up a sweat.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

mmmmmmm.......... Mrs Macs steak and cheese.... gently reheated on the cars exhaust manifold whilst untying the bike............ oohhh, I can hardly wait for my next pie, I mean ride.....
Old 04-15-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
mmmmmmm.......... Mrs Macs steak and cheese.... gently reheated on the cars exhaust manifold whilst untying the bike............ oohhh, I can hardly wait for my next pie, I mean ride.....
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Arm pump

I know of one former 6 Days star, who swears that drinking pickle juice will keep you from getting muscle cramps. Think I'll just stick to drinking lots of water before, during and after an event!

I also like to take a couple of aspirin before a ride / race and shake my hands out whenever possible.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'd like to know how much pickle juice! I wonder what's in it that he thinks it helps with cramps?
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Ok...Roost give it a try...let us all know how it works.

http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/pickleJuice.htm
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM

After reading several articles and looking around. It seems that it could just be the sodium in pickle juice that's the magic. One article simply said that if you salt your food prior to an event, it'd be the same. I don't know. My favorite article suggested 2 ounces of pickle juice was all that was required. Sounds easy to me. I guess I need to go get some pickles.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM

you mean the same concept as salt tablets? like the sodium holds the water in your system. if your having trouble with that maybe try laying off the morning coffee till after the ride, or not taking the soda before hand, or avoiding caffeine all together, as it basically flushes your system of water. my old running coach couldnt have drilled us enough on that concept. diuretic i think the word is. save your mouth the agony of pickle juice, just drink water. or milk. milk is just water with some extra calcium and protein. good stuff milk. better than pickle juice anyhow. eek.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Funny thing is, I have a very strictly regimented diet. I do not drink coffee, I don't drink soda, don't drink beer. I occasionally splurge and enjoy a glass of iced green tea. I do believe it is diet related somehow, but I'm not sure if I buy it being straight sodium. I have been using a product called enduralytes for years, but it doesn't seem to quell the problem completely. They are just salt tablets with added minerals that are commonly lost in sweat. I am willing to try anything that claims it will prevent cramps. The pickle juice seems like it's worth a try.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not breathing deeply enough. Last weekend I began to cramp in my foot as I was finishing a particularly taxing section. I brought with me some canned oxygen as an experiment, knowing the cramp would show up after 5 hours (my usual). It did, and I took 5 shots of oxygen. Within 30 seconds my cramps were gone. While this is good, it doesn't fix my problem.

When I played football in high school, I only got cramps during the daily doubles of late summer. After high school, when most games were played during daylight hours on saturday, and in Southern California, the cramps returned. Somehow heat does play a factor with me. I just wish I knew the formula.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM

electrolytes come into play? hit up the gatoraid. not alot, but a 20 oz should do you good, or some other electrolyte supplement. cuz i know they used to give the football team salt tablets before hot days, but they dont do it now, and i dont know why, probably health concerns with high sodium. anyhoo, im a big believer in water, a gatoraid, and a peanut butter sandwich. its what our coach said was the perfect meal leading up to a cross country race, and it certainly didnt hurt! i dont know if breathing would cause that or not, i had asthma (part of the reason i quit running) but the only problem it gave me was light headedness and poor breath, but i suppose going for 5 hours the oxygen deprevision would kick in and the muscles would start to feel like crap.