Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
Ok here's one for ya.
It's been brought to my attention (Thx Rod) that on the bottom of the engine case (EC300) between the oil drain plug and the crank drain plug is another threaded hole in the case. .
This is looking through the skid plate while standing on my head. sorta upside down picture.
THeres Two Drain Plugs on the Bottom

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 AM

This thread was interesting. I crawled under the 2009 last night to have a look. I can't see how it is a drain for the ignition, as the threaded hole in question on mine is on the opposite case-halve (clutch side), and not remotely close to the ignition housing area. I did remove my cover and found a drain integrated to the bottom of the cover, I can see how water could get into the ignition area through that portal. I went ahead and shot some RTV into the threaded hole anyway, it is easily removed if need be. My ignition area was clean, I also sealed that portal on the bottom of the cover. We'll see what happens, but I don't see having any issues.

2008 KTM 300XC - Sold
2004 KTM 450SX - Sold
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Very interesting thread guys heres a question I need answering! After jet washing my airbox using one of those sealed covers that replace the air filter I forgot it was on there and spent half hour trying to kick my bike off.. Numpty I know!.. Anyway it must have sucked in far too much fuel/2stroke mx (im guessing I flooded the engine) anyway after replacing the air filter I tried kicking again an nothing except this little hole started leaking out fuel mix... Should this happen or by having the airbox cover on and trying to kick it off have I blown some sort of seal.. The bike is a 2000 model ec250 and seems to start and idle fine now.. Any advice/help would be appreciated.. Not ridden the bike since. Hopefully someone will know!
Cheers luke
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM

There are three holes in the bottom of these bikes. One is the oil drain. One is the crank drain, Rabbitist it sounds like yours is open and it should not be. The third is indeed a hole that is connected to the igintion. AS someone pointed out it is on the other case half but they do connect, or did on the 99 and 02 cases. If i get motivated tonight I'll snap some pics of the bottom of a set of 08 cases I have in the garage.

Nice pic and a really, really clean bike.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Rabbitist,
I don't have an answer for you, closest I have come is kicking the bike with the exhaust plug in. Takes about 2 kicks and sends the plug across the room. However you are far more likely to get better answers if you post the question as a new thread.
Good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 AM

my 09 250 has the same hole, and after my inquires here and elsewhere, all came back with the same answer, ignition drain/assemblly mount hole....
wouldnt it be worth plugging, at least if ya knew you were going to do deep river crossings or similar?
although i havent had any problems yet on the old 300 and i presume it has the hole.....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Its used as a jig attachment, but also vents the ignition. The ignition cover also has a notch in the bottom for this. I'm not a fan of either, and cut a short M6 bolt and loctite it in before I ride the bike. I also fill the notch on the cover with Quicksteel epoxy, and re-dress the surface perfectly flat. I bond two gaskets to the cases, and use grease on the cover surface. The cover is removed and replaced for inspection after every wash, and the gaskets last all season. Slight condensation sometimes but it does not leak a drop and inside looks brand new after almost five years. I've seen vented ignitions that look like some of my shipwreck artifacts.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks guys and ill check the crank drain tommoz peb hopefully its that..