Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM

Default 300 won't idle. Please help!!

I have an 08 300 that won't idle and I'm about to pull my hair out.

I have searched and read through pages and pages of posts but still no solution.

I ride at 0-500 ft elevation with 70-100 degree temps most of the year.

My bike has the RB head and carb mods, Gnarly pipe, and Q stealth silencer. When I got the carb back from Ron, it was jetted pretty much dead on (178 main, 42 pilot) and ran like a top.

Over time it has gotten worse and will hardly idle now. Idle screw is completely bottomed against the spring to get any kind of idle. The choke, idle screw, and air screw seem to have very little effect at all. There is a bad flat spot at around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I have to really push through the flat spot to get it on the pipe and gas mileage has gone to crap. 20-25 miles and I'm switching to reserve. The bike spooges like crazy.

I've tried pretty much everything I've read in the posts that I've searched and nothing seems to have helped so far.

I raised the needle clip a notch with little effect.
Brand new NGK BR8EG plug
Clean air filter
disassembled and cleaned Powervalve assembly
Carb is spotless, cleaned multiple times
Float height seems ok as I can lean bike either side with no fuel overflow
Re routed horizontal carb vents up and into the airbox
Brand new reed valves
brand new rubber boot between reeds and carb.

I don't suspect an air leak as the idle never races or anything.

If anyone has had these problems or knows anything else I can try, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Loose/dirty electrical connections can cause symptoms similar to what you describe, particularly the big flat spot. I had this happen and the bike would start and idle, and run wot but nothing else, ended up being a loose spade connector on the coil.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Reading the title I was getting ready for the ol use the search engine answer. While reading I then thought Reeds for sure, but after reading your extensive list of things you've done to try and resolve this issue one thing stands out.

PISTON + RINGS!!

How many hours have you got on the top end? How'd the piston look through the exhaust port when you serviced the powervalve? Any blow by past the rings? Don't under estimate the effect that a worn piston can have on jetting and power. Paaaaarticularly off the bottom end!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Noobi,

I havent thought of electrical yet, I'll go through all my connections and see what i can find. Thanks

Jakobi,

I have questioned the piston/rings but I've had the cylinder head off and jug looks great. Looking through exhaust outlet doesnt show any blow by. I creeping towards time for a top end but by no means overdue for one. Would the bike still run strong up top if it needed piston and rings?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thinking about spooge here. Has it been burning trans oil? Any chance of a blown seal?

Did you measure you ring end gap when you had the jug off?

From my experiences worn top ends usually result in the bike losing its snap in the lower throttle openings. Once you rev the tits out of them they still run alright. In a 4T easily diagnosed because you'll be burning oil. Can't really use this to check on a 2T :P
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 PM

I don't believe it's burning trans oil. I was thinking spooge was unburnt fuel from what seems to be really rich condition.

I didn't have jug off, just the cap so no I didn't measure ring end gap. If I do pull the jug, do you know what ring end gap should be?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Site Sponsor

spooge is generally really rich which is probably why it won't idle. i would check piston and rings - you said no blowby though. bike will still run great up top with bad rings, it will rev out fine, just have less power. the bottom end will suck with bad rings.

the silencer also could need a repack.

are you fouling plugs or hard to start (cold or hot)?

if all this doesn't help, and you have good rings/piston, silencer, reeds, fresh fuel and plug. you gotta start at the beginning. the air screw will have no effect if the idle screw is all the way in. set air screw at 1.5. make sure there is slack in the throttle cable, so the slide goes all the way down and you can feel it hit the idle screw. back out idle screw till the slide no longer hits it. then turn the idle screw in about 1.5 turns. this is about where it should idle.

the flat spot should go away, but it probably won't idle.

i would think deal with the flat spot first, then get it to idle. try moving the needle 1 clip in each direction and see if that fixes flat spot.

turn idle screw in another .5 turns. turn air screw out 1/4 turn at a time, pausing 5 - 10 seconds until it races. stop. don't go out more than 3 turns.

if the air screw has an effect, then you just need to reset your idle. then you can tweak throttle response...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Site Sponsor

whoa - just noticed this one. the choke has no effect? is the rubber bumper on the bottom of the choke assembly ok?

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
whoa - just noticed this one. the choke has no effect? is the rubber bumper on the bottom of the choke assembly ok?
Bow chicka bow wow!! This would definately result in a super rich condition across the board. By bike does't even like to rev well under choke though. I'd definately check this. $13 part and easy as pie to pull out. If its questionable you could run some grease around the seal and see if it runs better breifly.

I doubt that the rings would be shagged.. I think 0.8mm is out of spec for a 300. 0.4mm is ideal. You would expect to see some blow by as well. The main reason that I thought along these lines is that you said its progressively been getting worse. Usually a good sign of a part wearing as opposed to something broken.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 PM

What exactly am I checking for on the rubber bumper at bottom of choke?