Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Default FSR 450 2007 clutch slipping

Any suggestions on severe clutch slipping, my bike has got an Adler clutch

Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If it slips after just putting it back together then its put together wrong.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Default clutch slip

cluch slip started at 3000kms on speedo but only slightly the only thing that has been apart on the engine was warranty recall on engine case ?? done by Gas Gas Dealer but* i cant really pinpoint whether slip happend straight after the* warranty work as slip was only noticeable on the road not on dirt but all of a sudden it started slipping badly about 1500 kms after warranty work I have pulled the clutch out and measured all parts and seem to be in spec as far as the limited info i can get *any thoughts would be appreciated** chapp44
Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 AM

I've been told you can add an extra spacer washer to tension the three clutch springs a bit more.. I don't know if it works.. I personally would look at the hubs to check if it has grooves in it, stopping it from ramping the clutch plates tighter as you put the power on.. (It's the way the Adler clutch works)

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM

I added the Adler clutch to my 06 and the build up procedure can be a little tricky. Rebuild the clutch as per the manual on the bench. It is possible in situ but this is where errors occur I think. Make sure all the plates are there and orientated as per the pictures (there is no basic information in the manual so you have to look and count). If you don't have the "special" tools, 3 off 3mm (I think) screws 40mm long with nuts and washers do just as well.
If it still slips try a different oil. Full synthetic is well known for screwing up Rekluse and other auto clutches so it may be that.
I also did some pictures of the clutch rebuild so if you need then I will post them.
Hope that helps
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Default clutch slip

there is no wear marks , grooves ,etc on any part of the clutch it all looks brand new also plenty of freeplay in the clutch lever so i will see if i can get all the specs for the clutch parts ie spring lengths ,plate thickness etc and maybe check the oil side of things thanks for your help guys
Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Can you be more specific about the free play in the clutch lever? Do you mean the point at which it engages? The amount of pull required on mine is so light it feels like there is no clutch there at all! If there really is free play it does sound like the clutch is incorrectly built up.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:09 AM

There is also an oil supply hole for the clutch hub.. Make sure the oil hole is lined up with the gap in the splines..

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 PM

Default clutch slip

to be specific there is clearance between the clutch lever and master cylinder piston when the piston is at rest* also the slave cylinder is fine and the oil feed holes line up Just another thought i work as a diesel mechanic and there is always new tech machinery coming along not always for the better* should i throw away the slipper clutch and put a standard type back in ???
Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

There is no reason to get rid of it. I am using the slipper from my 05 in my 07 with approx 7-8k miles on it without fail.