Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'd like to hear how it all sorts out. I hate mystery problems like that.

I sheared a woodruff key once on a vintage bike. It would run really strange, but still seemed fast enough. It was partially sheared at the time that it would run, then it just wouldn't start or anything.

If the key is sheared, make sure you lap the surface of the crank perfectly smooth again, otherwise the key will shear immediately the next time you try to start it. I only know from experience.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I'd like to hear how it all sorts out. I hate mystery problems like that.

I sheared a woodruff key once on a vintage bike. It would run really strange, but still seemed fast enough. It was partially sheared at the time that it would run, then it just wouldn't start or anything.

If the key is sheared, make sure you lap the surface of the crank perfectly smooth again, otherwise the key will shear immediately the next time you try to start it. I only know from experience.
So key looks good as well as valve clearances. Still no luck ....I'm almost losing faith in this bike (Not Gas Gas altogether, cause I know the newer 4 strokes have the FI setup correctly).

Any other ideas guys? I turn the key on, the fuel pump primes up and makes the sound, I hit the e-start and the motor turns good and it goes *bump**bump**bump**bump* and wont start.

What I still haven't done is a TPS reset, and probably other things. I replaced the spark plug this year, but maybe I should get a different model? CR7A or CR8A? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

Crankin04
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Before you go any further...have you done a compression test?
How many miles are on the bike?
Once running does the bike run normal? Will it bum start easily? I'm not too familiar with the FSE models. Do they have a diagnostic feature on the ECU like the Husky TE's or TXC's?
Maybe a phone call to one of the boys from Gofasters is in order 320-839-7143

Good Luck
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM

What happens if you jump it with a car battery?
Just wondering if it simply isn't turning fast enough.

I have a Varta battery which was the one with the best cold cranking amps (CCA) I could find (that show specs at least) that fits and it still doesn't turn it over fast enough in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
What happens if you jump it with a car battery?
Just wondering if it simply isn't turning fast enough.

I have a Varta battery which was the one with the best cold cranking amps (CCA) I could find (that show specs at least) that fits and it still doesn't turn it over fast enough in my opinion.
I have hooked it up to the car battery, and sometimes I can eventually get it to start while working with the throttle (opening and closing while hitting e-start), and sometimes not at all.

I don't know what to think. Once I get a TPS reset procedure from Technoresearch or a call back from one of the dealers I've left messages with about it, we'll see how that works after.

Thanks for thoughts guys.

Crankin04
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If you install a new plug use a cr8ek, dont ask me why but i swear mine starts easier and idles better with one. Same on my 05. Current is 07. When you try to start hit button once real short then try cranking if it doesnt start quickly then hold throttle wide open and crank.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 AM

What info does the technoresearch software give you about the sensors. If the temp sensor is faulty it could be too lean on cold startup. Does it start easier when it's hot? Try starting it with the temp sensor disconnected and see if it makes any difference.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaz View Post
What info does the technoresearch software give you about the sensors. If the temp sensor is faulty it could be too lean on cold startup. Does it start easier when it's hot? Try starting it with the temp sensor disconnected and see if it makes any difference.
Where is the temp sensor located exactly? I have ran through all the tests that the technoresearch software has and they all PASS.

I was able to get it started yesterday fairly quickly with hitting the e-start button slowly and only holding for about 2-3 seconds max until it started. Opened throttle a little bit too. I did have the fuel trim set to 65 which standard for my bike was set at 22. Maybe that has helped? I ran it and it ran pretty good...

Thanks

Crankin04
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Check out the ambient air temperature sensor. It is located under the seat facing into the airbox and can get dirt oil etc stuck to it. It is a cheapo resistor type so anything that allows moisture to track across the pins will have an effect on it's value. Be careful how you clean it as it looks fragile.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-gon View Post
Check out the ambient air temperature sensor. It is located under the seat facing into the airbox and can get dirt oil etc stuck to it. It is a cheapo resistor type so anything that allows moisture to track across the pins will have an effect on it's value. Be careful how you clean it as it looks fragile.
Cool. I will look at that tonight and clean it out carefully then see how well the bike starts from there.

Thanks,

Crankin04