GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Duster Duster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Ground has already done, for cdi reflash, i need to know, which software works and do i need new flywheel also.
Does anyone know?My dealer seems to have all the time in the world with finding solution for my bike...


Reply With Quote


  #112  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:00 PM
eralha eralha is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Hello,

need some advice with my starter, i have changed the bendix cover since mine was bad, and changed the bearings, the mechanism turns by hand realy well with no resistance, starter still does not work i'm getting really tired of this problem.

This video is working without the spark plug, so the starter is turning the engine:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsrizg82hf...94249.mp4?dl=0

In this video i have put the spark plug and it will not turn the engine any more.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf9r4i7cni...94816.mp4?dl=0

Can it be the starter motor?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Gasser Nate's Avatar
Gasser Nate Gasser Nate is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 252
Default

A really good easy test to see if a starter motor has the grunt to work in place is take the starter out and hook it up to a set of jumper leads. Then push the starter gear into a piece of hard wood. It should be able to grind its way through easily. Yours does sound funny in your video. Are you holding the button down in the second video or stabbing at the button?
__________________
Back on a gassy! 2018 EC300! 🤘
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-18-2019, 02:31 AM
Undertow Undertow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Default

It can be the starter motor.

My story short:

- The started motor died on me after 5 hours. Just barely made the engine turn with compressions, but could turn the engine without plug just like your's does.
- Changed all the cables (warranty), no help
- Renewed two batteries (one in warranty from GG with greater CCA), no help
- In the mean while broke four or five kick starters due to flywheel cutting the woodruff key and rotating on the axle (thank's once more for all the help I got here)
- After all this I got a new motor and bang, everything worked, until...
- My Bendix broke down (the gear broke free from the axle)
- Got new Bendix (warranty) and now it works great, so far

So if you have full battery and upgraded wires, and it still does not turn, ask a new motor to test.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-18-2019, 04:26 AM
eralha eralha is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
It can be the starter motor.

My story short:

- The started motor died on me after 5 hours. Just barely made the engine turn with compressions, but could turn the engine without plug just like your's does.
- Changed all the cables (warranty), no help
- Renewed two batteries (one in warranty from GG with greater CCA), no help
- In the mean while broke four or five kick starters due to flywheel cutting the woodruff key and rotating on the axle (thank's once more for all the help I got here)
- After all this I got a new motor and bang, everything worked, until...
- My Bendix broke down (the gear broke free from the axle)
- Got new Bendix (warranty) and now it works great, so far

So if you have full battery and upgraded wires, and it still does not turn, ask a new motor to test.
Yes i have a good batery i was using the batery from my 2016 africa twin.

On the second video i was pressing the button for 2 seconds and pressing again.

I'm waiting for a new motor, o bought one for a ktm that is equal to this, i hope that the new motor will solve this issue once and for all!!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Doc Brown Doc Brown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Austria, Europe
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
Yes i have a good batery i was using the batery from my 2016 africa twin.

On the second video i was pressing the button for 2 seconds and pressing again.

I'm waiting for a new motor, o bought one for a ktm that is equal to this, i hope that the new motor will solve this issue once and for all!!
Pls let me know if the Kato starter fits once you've got yours. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Jacob 'Berg Jacob 'Berg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
Yes i have a good batery i was using the batery from my 2016 africa twin.

On the second video i was pressing the button for 2 seconds and pressing again.

I'm waiting for a new motor, o bought one for a ktm that is equal to this, i hope that the new motor will solve this issue once and for all!!
Check the direction of spin on the motor prior to installation. I believe that I read somewhere that when someone replaced their motor with a ktm starter motor, it did not turn in the correct direction.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM
eralha eralha is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Check the direction of spin on the motor prior to installation. I believe that I read somewhere that when someone replaced their motor with a ktm starter motor, it did not turn in the correct direction.
Thank you, i'm aware of that, need to turn it 180? to spin in the correct direction for the gasgas.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
farmerj's Avatar
farmerj farmerj is online now
Platinum Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
A really good easy test to see if a starter motor has the grunt to work in place is take the starter out and hook it up to a set of jumper leads. Then push the starter gear into a piece of hard wood. It should be able to grind its way through easily. Yours does sound funny in your video. Are you holding the button down in the second video or stabbing at the button?
Short question, Nate - Is it OK to run these motorcycle starters without load?

-------

Long version - My bike wouldn't start, so I tried turning it over 5-6 times with some rest in between for the starter to cool. The last time, all I got were "clicks". I thought the battery went dead. Turns out, the starter burned up (windings were fried).

Then, while waiting for a new OEM starter to come in, I tried one of the $49 versions (for a KTM, which btw fit fine. It was a bit larger in diameter - so had to slightly move the ground cable where it rubbed to get the splines to line up correctly). I don't want to bad-talk this starter, because I didn't know how to reverse polarity correctly, and took the thing clear apart. Getting the brushes back in was not easy, and I may have messed something up. But it never did crank well. I pulled it out of the bendix gear and turned it over "free-wheeling", without any resistance. It died/fried just free-spinning! Click-click!

New OEM replacement starter came. Installed, it ran backward. My dealer called and said they got a bad batch, and a new one is coming. But now the "backward spinning" replacement has a faint "burnt electrical" smell as well - and it never saw any load!

This makes me wonder if (a) running them "free" creates friction from spinning too fast, or (b) if there is some other problem with my electrical system that sends too many amps to the starter. The battery is showing approx. 13.9 volts.

Can a regulator (or something) go bad and fry starters? I don't want to wreck the new one when it comes!

Thanks,

Jeff
__________________
'18 GG XC 300
'05 GG DE 300
'01 GG txt 321
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Today, 01:57 AM
fred99999au fred99999au is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 60
Default

Unlikely that a 12 volt battery will fry a 12 volt starter. the regulator is between the magneto and ground to charge the battery and provide 12vDC on the bike, so not in circuit for the starter.

Only thing in circuit that I can think of is the starter solenoid. Which is generic.

Start button energises the solenoid which connects it to the battery.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Batteries and Starter Doesnt work! markwoodlief Enduro Electrical & Wiring 81 11-30-2017 03:50 PM
2018 Starter Delete nhgas Enduro Electrical & Wiring 1 11-10-2017 07:58 PM
45mm zoke continued Torrot NA - Mark Berg Enduro Suspension 0 04-05-2011 04:10 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org