Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 AM

Default Slipping clutch

My FSE400 clutch has started slipping under full acceleration. When ridden in sane person mode there is no problem. So I have a problem!! Do I need to replace clutch plates, clutch basket... help me 'clutch' the problem (ok sorry)
Thanks all you broad minded,classy,super speedy gasser riders....

Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 AM

Thanks for all your replies people. My clutch is getting worse now and slipping everytime I hit full throttle. What should I buy, clutch plates, springs, basket, genuine or aftermarket? I'm in the dark here and don't want to get ripped off by the gasser dealer. What should I look for when I strip it down? Can I make the clutch better than stock
Old 02-15-2008, 07:29 AM

I've never replaced a clutch, but I know you can buy a rebuild kit. The kit has the plates, but I'm not sure about the springs.

You only have to worry about the basket if the fingers have been grooved due to wear.

Just buy the kit. If you see the basket is grooved when you tear into it, then replace the basket also.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

What kind of engine oil are you using? You do not want to run a car spec oil. They contain anti friction additives that makes bad things to wet clutches. Make sure you use bike spec oil.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM

You will need the fibre clutch plates and I would be replacing the clutch springs because the 400 had weeker springs than the 450 (04YM).
Also check if the metal plates are blue, this is a sign they are bernt and they may need replacing if it has been slipping for a period of time.
Use 10w 40 oil. Motul or Motoex oil they are good and go genuine some non genuine plates can swell and cause drag.

Sometimes the basket may have small wear marks on the fingers. If it has you can clean them up with a file, but dont take to much off. The only other reason you would replace the basket is if the damper rubbers between the basket and big gear are worn.Try and move the gear and hold the basket, if the gear moves the dampers are worn and need replacing, I think you can get the dampers seperate.

If you go to a good Gas Gas dealer you wont get riped off, I would take your plates in and ask for the mechanic for advice and not the parts person.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 AM

Thanks guys, that's the sort of advice I need. I run Motul 10-40 bike oil and it gives me a nice shift so I'll stick with it, but it feels to me now you mention it that the clutch springs could be too weak, so I'll update them to the newer spec and do the clutch plates while I'm there also. It all looks pretty accessible so I can't imagine it to be too difficult a job. I'll keep you all informed, thanks again!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 AM

A couple magnetic pick up tools (as seen by following the link) make removing the clutch plates incredibly easy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37188

Mike Baxter
Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM

My '06 GG 400 pampera started slipping the clutch at about 2000k. Worried the hell out of me. Was really bad when cold but firmed up a little bit when warm. Someone suggested bleeding the clutch and I thought that would be the least obvious action. Anyway, bled the clutch, took about 5 minutes, been rock solid ever since for over 9000k. Still don't know how or why, it just worked.
Give it a go before you start stripping down, take you five minutes and if it does'nt fix it you can just tick it off the list.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 AM

Hi guys, anyway I replaced the clutch springs last weekend with the later model 450 type and the clutch improved a lot until it got hot and started slipping a little bit. This weekend I'll replace the clutch plates (would of done it before but I didn't have circlip pliers handy) and give the clutch hydraulics a bleed and hopefully she'll be all sweet.
It was a really nice feeling to crack the throttle and have the front wheel in the air again!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You dont need circlip plyers to change the plates.