Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Long or short wheelbase?

When I bought my 2002 XC300, I noticed the rear wheel was all of the way back on the adjusters. Almost nothing left to adjust, but the chain was in decent shape. I proceeded to lop a link out of the chain and pulled the wheel right up against the front, but still had room for the tire, etc. However, I have noticed on many pictures on this site that almost all of the bikes have the rear wheel as far back as possible. Is there a significant advantage to having the wheel that far back? I didn't notice any tendency to wheelie too much on my last ride even with the wheel tucked up forward, but I don't know if having it back would help in any other fashion.

Any advice/tips? I am purchasing a new chain this week, and I want to be able to make a wise decision when I cut and install it.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM

If you run tall tires like trials tires or some 120/100 knobbies they will hit the shock mud guard with the adjusters less than roughly 1/2 way back, if you dont plan on runing one of those you can have the adjusters almost all the way to the front.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 PM

I have a new chain going on today. What is the consensus for rear wheel location? I have ridden the bike twice with the wheel all of the way forward and no ill handling concerns, but I guess I want to know if anyone would recommend either position for the wheel in the swingarm. Forward for agility or back for stability?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM

You are correct, forward for agility, rear for stability although likely you will only ever notice the front end lightness with that change, it is enough for me personally to feel on any of my bikes, on my yammie I run a 11/12/13/14 front sprocket depending on where I am running. i can run the 11/12/13 on the same chain link just through the adjustment, even with the 13 on the front, the front wheel is much quicker to get light than the 11 even though it mathmatically is a higher ratio.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Well, I went for the stability as it's easier to remove a single link than add another in. I have ridden the bike with the short wheel base, I'll see how it works with the longer. No obstacles in my upcoming race on Saturday, except for the MX course. Let's see if I can do the little doubles!