Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 06-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Shady Burro Enduro, South Fork Co

Signed up for this enduro July 22-23, should be lots of fun. Having never been to Colorado I am wondering what the terain is like? I am coming from the deserts of Arizona. Is it similar? Could it rain and be muddy?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Terrain will vary quite a bit from tight woods to wide open. There will be smooth tacky sections, slimy mud, and loose rock. If it rains things are going to get nasty in a hurry, but I'd plan for both dust and mud. The weather in Colorado is very fickle and it can be 40 degree and pouring, then an hour later 80 degrees and sunny.

I ride down at Mile Markers and Sycamore every winter and it is nothing like that but if you ride some of the harder stuff there you should be well prepared.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Hmmm.....mud, rain? Forgot how to ride in that stuff since leaving NJ. Just kidding. I was hoping to run a Kenda Equilibrium for that race however if it's muddy that might not be a good choice.
Yes I ride the harder trails at mile markers, I prefer that sort of stuff, rather than high speed.
I just realized I have a new problem, I don't have a legitimate spark arrester! I took the stock muffler off and installed a HOH silencer which has a SA screen (removable). I does not however have the forest service approval stamp, which I knew when I bought it. I wrongly assumed my stock silencer, power core 2 had one
Dam now I have to find a silencer with a SA. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Terrain will vary quite a bit from tight woods to wide open. There will be smooth tacky sections, slimy mud, and loose rock. If it rains things are going to get nasty in a hurry, but I'd plan for both dust and mud. The weather in Colorado is very fickle and it can be 40 degree and pouring, then an hour later 80 degrees and sunny.

I ride down at Mile Markers and Sycamore every winter and it is nothing like that but if you ride some of the harder stuff there you should be well prepared.
Correctomundo. This is my backyard. Don't forget to come early to get your jetting sorted, I don't know the course route, but some of the trails we ride in that area go well above treeline, ie 11-12,000 ft. Southfork is just over 8000ft. This altitude is where the 300 shines.

It would surprise me if you find any seriously long muddy sections, it is the "rocky mountains" for a reason LOL. Of course a drencher can make it challenging. But I ditched a pure trials tire not because of mud but because the extended rocky/gravelly descents were too scary.

I will be working so I won't make it. Have fun, it is beautiful country

https://www.facebook.com/shadyburro/
Old 07-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzsuzuki View Post
Hmmm.....mud, rain? Forgot how to ride in that stuff since leaving NJ. Just kidding. I was hoping to run a Kenda Equilibrium for that race however if it's muddy that might not be a good choice.
Yes I ride the harder trails at mile markers, I prefer that sort of stuff, rather than high speed.
I just realized I have a new problem, I don't have a legitimate spark arrester! I took the stock muffler off and installed a HOH silencer which has a SA screen (removable). I does not however have the forest service approval stamp, which I knew when I bought it. I wrongly assumed my stock silencer, power core 2 had one
Dam now I have to find a silencer with a SA. Anyone have any recommendations?
I have a sherco with the same issue, I talked to the promoter and if it passes the corn hole test its good.

Not sure what year bike you have but the q4 is approved and is nice and quiet