Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default New helmet technologies (long boring important read)

I have been looking for a new helmet as my current shoei is 5 years old and has done its time.

After doing a bit of research I came across MIPS and 6d designs.

These are revolutionary products and prolly help dirt bikers the most. We all need to avoid concussion, some off us have incomes that rest on our health, so it's doubly important.

Information is scarce apart from the marketing departments of helmet companies.

MIPS is the cheaper but as good tech and it's a licenced design so used by a few companies now and will probably be in every medium to high end helmet soon.

6d is proprietary and requires a larger helmet casing due to the design but is still very worthwhile, it's pricey though.

Fox and One industries just to name two are incorporating MIPS into their high end products at good prices.

I have no affiliation/not sponsored by any bike products (too slow anyways).

More reading, it's from a cycle mag but is vv good.

http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html

I hope it helps you decide.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha

Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo737 View Post
I have been looking for a new helmet as my current shoei is 5 years old and has done its time.

After doing a bit of research I came across MIPS and 6d designs.

These are revolutionary products and prolly help dirt bikers the most. We all need to avoid concussion, some off us have incomes that rest on our health, so it's doubly important.

Information is scarce apart from the marketing departments of helmet companies.

MIPS is the cheaper but as good tech and it's a licenced design so used by a few companies now and will probably be in every medium to high end helmet soon.

6d is proprietary and requires a larger helmet casing due to the design but is still very worthwhile, it's pricey though.

Fox and One industries just to name two are incorporating MIPS into their high end products at good prices.

I have no affiliation/not sponsored by any bike products (too slow anyways).

More reading, it's from a cycle mag but is vv good.

http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html

I hope it helps you decide.
Great stuff. I jumped on the 6D bandwagon earlier this year, and while I have no intention of testing its' concussion-reducing properties, I'm very happy with it in all other areas of fit, weight, and style.

If a better one comes along (better in terms of rotational acceleration reduction I suppose) I'll be all over it. I don't need to spend money to make my bikes faster, but I will spend it to make me safer.

Best idea yet though is to avoid hitting your head on hard things in the first place - so maybe the best money is spent on riding schools and skills training.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yeah, I was once told the best safety equipment was petrol (gas) as it allowed you to ride your bike and get better - all good unless you race, that environment messes with people's minds and their self protection instincts get suppressed.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 AM

A good helmet and good boots are the most cheap protection you can buy considering what they protect. Off course this does not minimizes the other safety gear we should use .

Helmets for me there's 2 kinds: SNELL approved and the rest ...

Why I consider SNELL approved helmets as a reference ? Because they use off the shelf helmets on their testing. Yes, the same ones you and I can buy .

Arai is my main reference on helmet safety . Also liked Fox and Shoei.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

I have read that 6D will perform an inspection on 6D helemt's if you took a hard hit to the helmet. Based upon what I read if the outter shell is intact and defect free, but the "interior suspension" has been compressed in a way that safety is in question, 6D can replace the "interior suspenion" for a fee.

These guys are also work on some new tech safety for helmets as well.
http://www.kaliprotectives.com/
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM

I had a pretty good crash about 4 years ago and ended up with five broken ribs, cut spleen, and a bad concussion. Of course the ribs were tough to cope with and the spleen deal was tough too. The concussion was by far the worst to get a handle on for me. I hardly remember any of the crash, helicopter ride, or the week in the hospital. I would be fine one minute then the room would start to spin. This went on for weeks and at random times if I got up or tried to moved to fast. Weird scary stuff. I had a cheap KBC helmet on at the time but figured it worked cause I'm still here. I think I'll look into the helmet thing a little closer. Thanks for the info.