Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Default Off road adventure camping on an EC ?

Has anyone ever loaded their Bike up with camping gear to explore the back country? If so how long was the trip? and where did you go ?
I'm thinking of doing a few over nighters in the chilliwack river valley.
Cheers

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM

does sleeping in cheap mexican motels count? i've done baja a bunch of times on the back of my ktm 525 exc. backpack with a change of cloths,creditcard,a pocket full of pesos,jerky and granola bars for lunch trailside most day's.riding through the back country/mountains of baja. it's become a spring ritual for myself and a bunch of friends here in snowy cold british columbia in February. this year i bought myself a giantloop coyote pack for my bike- now that's the way to pack your chit!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Thats funny I know a guy here in chilliwack who does the same thing on his Ktm he hasnt gone in a few years work is to busy.
I was thinking more easy over nighters in the pacific north west or B.C. the dual sport guys do it all the time. I think it would be cooler to do it all off road. To places the D.S. guys would not venture. ( if there not riding a KTM,Husky or Beta.)If anyone has id like to know how they packed the bike. Just need some ideas. That giant loop looks like a sweet option.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 AM

your only problem is fuel. a 2 stroke in most little towns attracts attention,if yah know what i mean. that's why i've got my ktm plated,you can come out of the deep dark forest,pop into town for fuel and lunch,and jump right back on the trails in the afternoon. my gasser only get about 100 km's range on the stock tank, if i put my big exxon valdez tank on my 4 stroke-i'm good for 350 ish km's.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliwackwestie View Post
Has anyone ever loaded their Bike up with camping gear to explore the back country? If so how long was the trip? and where did you go ?
Cheers

I have done this. I have a Mojave, (made by GL) on my RM250. I carry tools, food and fold my tent up on top. Have a packpack I carry a windshield washer jug of premix in. Then I have two MSR fuel bottles.

If your easy on the throttle, can usually get a couple hundred km outta it.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
your only problem is fuel. a 2 stroke in most little towns attracts attention,if yah know what i mean. that's why i've got my ktm plated,you can come out of the deep dark forest,pop into town for fuel and lunch,and jump right back on the trails in the afternoon. my gasser only get about 100 km's range on the stock tank, if i put my big exxon valdez tank on my 4 stroke-i'm good for 350 ish km's.
http://www.liquidcontainment.com/fuel_bladders.php

Try these guys

Biff
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliwackwestie View Post
Cheers
Hey neighbor, I been thinking about the same thing, and of course I can hit pump gas. My enduros aren't really set up for camping yet...and I'm kind of a wuss; I like to camp out of my 4x4 van and day ride from there.

Personally, I've seen way to many bears while white water kayaking the Chilliwack, I think I'd be askeered to camp in your neck of the woods.

The Giant Loop does seem like the way to get started, though.