Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Trip West NY to MT,CO,NM,TX back home

Taking a summer road trip with my son (in the car) to South of Livingston,MT just North of Yellowstone, then down through Colorado, New Mexico into Texas and back home to Upstate NY. Here's the question, what's the best way to get through Colorado ? 87 down through Denver looks quicker, but not much in the way of Mountain scenery? I could be mistaken. Not really interested in the big cities or touristy ski towns. Any good small towns we "need" to see? Places to eat? Good places to stay? Landmarks? I know people on this board have been out there and live out there....so let it rip. Go easy....I'm in a car, not a 4wd! Wish I could ride single track while there, but not this time. To the moderator if this needs to move so be it, wasn't sure. Thought I'd try the Gasser forum as well for this one.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

87 out of Denver is pretty desolate... but not too bad.. if I was doing that I would figure out how to get to taos nm out of Denver... taos, angel fire and red river nm are very cool.. then I would head towards las vegas nm... eat at spic and span in las vegas nm..... best cinnamon roll you will ever have..wowser... we ride a lot around tres ritos and sipapu nm.. really cool riding there... from there you hit desert... I live in Amarillo on i40... from there back to ny, I got nothing... taos has a big gorge walking bridge .. pretty cool to see.. don't stop in morra nm after dark...get spooky so I am told
Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Thank you, when we get to Texas I want to try and hit the Cadillac Ranch and the Big Texan, I was there in 1975ish....then I have to head to Houston area before heading back to NY.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG61 View Post
Thank you, when we get to Texas I want to try and hit the Cadillac Ranch and the Big Texan, I was there in 1975ish....then I have to head to Houston area before heading back to NY.
Big Texan is in the same place.. they have added a lot to it.. now has a zip line course and a stage with a live band usually... Caddy ranch has move further west... town got to close... so they dug them up and moved them a few exits away.. best steak in Amarillo is at embers... if you were here then it is where zyder zee's was...