Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
GasGas/Torrot people have been on this site confirming that they will not be using the old Husky tech that they had purchased. Any move to a 4T engine will be a completely new in house designs. So unless they backpedal on that decision I doubt we'll ever see that Italian Husky motor again.
Remember that this isn't just GasGas anymore. Torrot has seriously deep pockets and really wants to see success.
They must have sold that engine to SWM, who seems to be the "new" red Husky warmed over again.

I think there will be an awesome battle between Gas Gas, Yamaha, Himoinsa, and Sherco. They all are top 10 contenders but the Husky/KTM/Honda war will consume the top 5 this year I'm afraid as they are all on next gen bikes with well backed, trained, and amazing pilots.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post

I think there will be an awesome battle between Gas Gas, Yamaha, Himoinsa, and Sherco. They all are top 10 contenders but the Husky/KTM/Honda war will consume the top 5 this year I'm afraid as they are all on next gen bikes with well backed, trained, and amazing pilots.
I'm calling Toby Price for the win. I think he's had enough time to heal and practice. I think this will be the year he can finally pull it all together.

2nd is Joan Barrenda. I think he has what it takes even with his hand injury.

3rd is Sunderland. He's got a fire to become a legend and cleared last year by a significant margin.

I do think VanBeveren could really pull an upset and make the top 3 as well.

Honestly I think its too hard to call any of these places though. There are so many riders in it this year. And so many of them are so talented.

Who are you guys calling for the 3 podium finishes??
Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 PM

why don't put a rekluse clutch cover or just mill/grind the ktm logo off the dakar bike?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdf4RK9jeFT/
Brasil!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
why don't put a rekluse clutch cover or just mill/grind the ktm logo off the dakar bike?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdf4RK9jeFT/
Good question... I gotz no idea... Maybe it was already obvious so why bother try to hide it?

Does seem so wrong to see GasGas stickers on a KTM eh? The name on the side is the best part of the bike
Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I'm calling Toby Price for the win. I think he's had enough time to heal and practice. I think this will be the year he can finally pull it all together.

2nd is Joan Barrenda. I think he has what it takes even with his hand injury.

3rd is Sunderland. He's got a fire to become a legend and cleared last year by a significant margin.

I do think VanBeveren could really pull an upset and make the top 3 as well.

Honestly I think its too hard to call any of these places though. There are so many riders in it this year. And so many of them are so talented.

Who are you guys calling for the 3 podium finishes??
Toby is one of my favorite racers alive at the moment but despite a huge well of talent I just don't think he has the preparation and time on the bike for the top step this year.

You're damn right it's a tough call at this point though, Barreda has the speed but the bike/crashing/team has always held him back. Starting with an injury is going to be hard to overcome with his riding style over two hard weeks. Will the HRC bikes still be competitive against these new gen KTM's?

1.) Walkner
2.) Sunderland
3.) Quintanilla
4.) Benavides
5.) De Soultrait

Totally reaching with that list, but this edition stands to be very exciting as long as the riders stay healthy
Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Toby is one of my favorite racers alive at the moment but despite a huge well of talent I just don't think he has the preparation and time on the bike for the top step this year.

You're damn right it's a tough call at this point though, Barreda has the speed but the bike/crashing/team has always held him back. Starting with an injury is going to be hard to overcome with his riding style over two hard weeks. Will the HRC bikes still be competitive against these new gen KTM's?

1.) Walkner
2.) Sunderland
3.) Quintanilla
4.) Benavides
5.) De Soultrait

Totally reaching with that list, but this edition stands to be very exciting as long as the riders stay healthy
I like your list!! Great calls.

You think De Soultrait has it in him eh? He's a fast guy.

Can't count out Ricky Brabec either. He may have what it takes to pull a huge upset. Took one stage win last year. I think his weakness is the length of the Rally. He comes out the gate hard but falls away the longer it goes.

How well do you think Jonny Aubert will do? Think he can make Top 20? Top 15? He's such a talented rider but is missing a lot of the rally experience that so many guys at this Dakar have.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I like your list!! Great calls.

You think De Soultrait has it in him eh? He's a fast guy.

Can't count out Ricky Brabec either. He may have what it takes to pull a huge upset. Took one stage win last year. I think his weakness is the length of the Rally. He comes out the gate hard but falls away the longer it goes.

How well do you think Jonny Aubert will do? Think he can make Top 20? Top 15? He's such a talented rider but is missing a lot of the rally experience that so many guys at this Dakar have.
I think De Soultrait has it in him looking at his results in the FIMCCC this year and he has the backing. I'd love to see a Brabec upset too and he has been putting in the work but he also spent a lot of 2017 injured from NHHA round 4 i believe. I'm also not convinced he is a great navigator or tactician but we will see.

Aubert certainly has the speed but I haven't been following his training regimen and think you're right regarding the navigation, my guess is inside the top 20 but behind Laia Sanz... I think the smaller bike is going to help her out a lot and we already know she has the chops to crack the top 10.

I'm pretty confident in my top 4 with a Brabec/Meo/VanBeveren upset not surprising me. If Goncalves and Renet were there it would be even harder. I really want to see a Honda upset but can't stand Barreda's attitude.

I'll also be pulling hard for a Bill Conger finishin and top 30 result from Petr Vlcek. I've ridden with Conger quite a bit in UT and battled Vlcek at the 2016 Baja Rally until he finally succumbed to food poisoningon the last day.

Also, obviously, I'd like to see good showing from Samuels and Short.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I think De Soultrait has it in him looking at his results in the FIMCCC this year and he has the backing. I'd love to see a Brabec upset too and he has been putting in the work but he also spent a lot of 2017 injured from NHHA round 4 i believe. I'm also not convinced he is a great navigator or tactician but we will see.

Aubert certainly has the speed but I haven't been following his training regimen and think you're right regarding the navigation, my guess is inside the top 20 but behind Laia Sanz... I think the smaller bike is going to help her out a lot and we already know she has the chops to crack the top 10.

I'm pretty confident in my top 4 with a Brabec/Meo/VanBeveren upset not surprising me. If Goncalves and Renet were there it would be even harder. I really want to see a Honda upset but can't stand Barreda's attitude.

I'll also be pulling hard for a Bill Conger finishin and top 30 result from Petr Vlcek. I've ridden with Conger quite a bit in UT and battled Vlcek at the 2016 Baja Rally until he finally succumbed to food poisoningon the last day.

Also, obviously, I'd like to see good showing from Samuels and Short.
I like the way you think. Must have been a lot of fun racing the Baja Rally! How'd you do at the event?

Malle Moto is always an interesting class. Those guys are freakin insane! Its already a gruelling event. Why make it even harder. You gotta wonder how well a guy like Poskitt would do with factory backing and a decent sleep at night!!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 AM

Just watched Jonny Aubert take off from the starting Podium on the live broadcast on the bookface.

Less than 5 hours to go time!!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I like the way you think. Must have been a lot of fun racing the Baja Rally! How'd you do at the event?

Malle Moto is always an interesting class. Those guys are freakin insane! Its already a gruelling event. Why make it even harder. You gotta wonder how well a guy like Poskitt would do with factory backing and a decent sleep at night!!
Poskitt sounded like hell on his stream this morning! I rode with him and Basel on some training routes after he did Sonora in 2016ish. I raced Baja Rally the year after he did and ended up 7th OA and 3rd in class (expert). Angelo (Petr Vlcek) probably would have knocked me to 8th if he didn't have to withdraw.

He, Carlos Gracida (2014/2017 Dakar) and I were all pretty evenly matched and rode together a lot but it was very apparent they both had more experience and rode smarter. I was on a faster bike in the rough stuff and better technical rider but they both pulled some smooth ones one me that showed they knew the game well.

Let the games begin, this is going to be a good one!