Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 AM

Question seats: '07 vs '08 vs GUTS tall soft

Never got my '08 seat due to a mix up and GoFasters just getting seat bases, so I still have the stock '07 board. I'm running the ProTect sub mount, and while great standing, its a shade tall for sitdown work in tight woods. This was evident on the ride before I got hurt, as I had some weird arm issues I never had before, I'm sure due to the tall bars. Previous rides were a lot of stand up. I think the seat has to be raised to compensate and life will be good. Is the '08 GG seat any taller than the '07 seat? I suspect not. I probably will be better off with a tall GUTS seat, just to offset the bar height a bit. What do you guys who have had them think?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM

To get away from the seat a bit although I know the 07 sucks. How high are the stock GG bars? I have the ProTect sub mount also on my 250 KTM and to keep the height down switched to the Trail Tech X bars in the low woods bend. 80mm in height and the same low sweep (40mm) as the standard KTM bars. My height overall increased by just 1/2". The really nice thing about these bars is they are designed with a narrow center mounting section and quick rise leaving tons of space for levers and junk. I could easily cut them to 28" and have plenty of room for levers although I have them at 29.5" now. I love these things and highly recommend them. I read somewhere that the 08 seat is higher, wider and softer FWIW.

Skidad
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM

I didn't find the Guts tall soft seat much higher than the stock 07. It is definitely more comfortable but still not perfect. If I sit down a lot on long rides it's still an ass killer.

Also, I'm not very impressed with the quality of the Guts seat cover. The gripper is nice, but my knee braces have already worn through the cover on the sides and it looks worn at the back end (when I sit, my butt tends to be near the back of the seat due to my long legs).
Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM

I have found the exact same gripper dot material available at a local outdoor fabric store. I think it is called tough tech or something similar. The stuff is tough as nails, the cover on my bike has about 60-70 rides on it and looks nearly new. I can recover mulitple seats with one yard of fabric, look for the stuff locally or I am willing to cover any of your seats for $35(including cover) plus shipping

Last edited by PEB; 07-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
I have found the exact same gripper dot material available at a local outdoor fabric store. I think it is called tough tech or something similar. The stuff is tough as nails, the cover on my bike has about 60-70 rides on it and looks nearly new. I can recover mulitple seats with one yard of fabric, look for the stuff locally or I am willing to cover any of your seats for $30(including cover) plus shipping

What is the stuff called? I tried looking for some online and didn't have any luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM

I will start a new thread in the body and chasis section as to not hijack GMP's.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Skidad,

I'm running KTM SX bend Renthals that I had on my '03, mainly because they are in good shape and have Atek inserts in them. They appear to be almost identical to the stock '07 GG bars. I have to check the specs but they are pretty low with VERY LITTLE sweep. If the Trail Tech bars are indeed lower I'd be willing to try them, as long as the sweep is no more than what I have now, I hate excessive sweep. For me a half inch rise sounds good.

I sat on a few GUTS tall soft seats on older GGs and they did seem taller than those stockers ('02, '03). I'm only 5'9" so I don't want to go way up, perhaps the '08 seat and Trail Tech bars are the ticket. Can you post a photo of those bars on your bike?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Yeah I'll take some pics for you this weekend (the bike lives 40 minutes from me which sucks big time) I'll be attending the Shane Watts riding school in CT this Friday and Saturday. I can't wait

Don't know about the height of the 03 Renthals but almost all the current KTM stuff is very low sweep at 40mm and a height of 95mm. The Trail Tech's are 40mm also and 80mm in height so that's over 1/2" lower than stock. Some KTM bars did go as low as 36 and 38mm sweep I know that. Yours could be one?

Skidad
Old 07-09-2008, 04:19 AM

The 08 seat felt a bit taller than the 07 seat. Perhaps due to being a bit wider too. And a small report. After 40 hours on it, it still is like new with no material packing. It's great. It is unchanged for 09. Glenn, could you compare the stock 07 bars with your Renthal KTM bar? I want to see if the handguard oversize clamps for Renthal fatbars fit. Magura clamps didn't fit. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 AM

I'm using Bike Bonz handguard mounts. As far as the taper of the Hebo bars, they appear to be more like Pro Tapers. On my '00 I used Pro Taper hanguard mount clamps on Hebo fat bars that worked fine.