Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Nice looking hardware you got there!

Just to followup my earlier post in this thread, I tore my fork down today, oil was dirty but no metal in it. Bushings look good an all wear surfaces are clean. As much as I am excited to see the outcome of this thread, hopefully no one unfamiliar with the bike gets the idea the 48mm forks are junk. After 140 hours mine are still going strong on the original bushings and I love their performance.

Sorry for your bad luck Jakobi, despite top notch equipment and care maybe you just ride harder than the rest of us!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Nice work Steve!

Matt, shot you a PM with price. I sourced them on ebay and took a bit of shopping around. They were less than I've seen some low hour used sets of similar vintage, and considerably less than one shop was trying to sell an as new set. Advice to others, don't rush in and shop around. There are still bargains to be had.

F5. Keen to hear what you think. I've just had a look at the stock valving for your 06 YZ250 forks I don't think it will be too bad. Haven't confirmed the float, but thinking same .35mm as mine will have if it uses the same collar. You may find a simple crossover in the basevalve will give you a good result. I'll be closing the float on mine some to get a sharper feeling front end. These YZ250F forks are valved up more than the YZ.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Nice looking hardware you got there!

Just to followup my earlier post in this thread, I tore my fork down today, oil was dirty but no metal in it. Bushings look good an all wear surfaces are clean. As much as I am excited to see the outcome of this thread, hopefully no one unfamiliar with the bike gets the idea the 48mm forks are junk. After 140 hours mine are still going strong on the original bushings and I love their performance.

Sorry for your bad luck Jakobi, despite top notch equipment and care maybe you just ride harder than the rest of us!
I don't think riding has as much to do with it as manufacturing tolerances and build quality of the Marzocchi. I'm not saying they're a junk fork, just that they have some room for improvement from a design and assembly perspective. My issues have been mostly bad luck. When they were working they worked very well.

I consider it similar to the Gas Gas imploding water pump issues. Some people had problems, while many others didn't. In the end it simply boiled down to poor fit and finish causing contact issues and wear (to varying degrees). The same applies with these forks.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I don't think riding has as much to do with it as manufacturing tolerances and build quality of the Marzocchi. I'm not saying they're a junk fork, just that they have some room for improvement from a design and assembly perspective. My issues have been mostly bad luck. When they were working they worked very well.

I consider it similar to the Gas Gas imploding water pump issues. Some people had problems, while many others didn't. In the end it simply boiled down to poor fit and finish causing contact issues and wear (to varying degrees). The same applies with these forks.
That is a fair assessment the riding bit was a poor attempt at sarcasm.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
That is a fair assessment the riding bit was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

..and here I was thinking you were giving me genuine compliments.

Back to the subject, I was hoping that I'd simply be able to bolt up the Gas Gas shrouds/guards to the lower fork but the bolt pattern is different. Will have to look at doing something else there. Probably just buy a set of after market Yamaha ones and make a spacer up to move the cable routing over.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 PM

Yeah I bought polini yz ones as the 45 zokes don't fit either. On the upper guide I modded the gg one by cuttting it but I went a bit far. Should be OK. I used the yz one on the shrouds but gg one would have worked in a push.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 11-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Finally had my SSS revalved.http://www.812suspensiondesign.com/
Talk about a massive difference. Very plush, no deflections when hitting off camber roots.
Front wheel is sticking like velcro. Before it would push on the turns and slide out.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't had a whole lot of free time at the moment with the new bub and missus home all the time. School runs, and now school holidays, not to mention visitors and christmas approaching rapidly. The shed actually needs a bloody good clean!

I'll start posting up some stack info soon.

In regards to the fitment. Forks slid right in with no issues. Brake carrier is still in transit. The 04 WR250F axle is too long as somewhere along the lines Yamaha moved the lugs inwards, so while I've been able to slide an axle through I haven't been able to progress any further.

Prior to this I'd been in contact with Steve (twowheels) about sourcing some spare seals and found he is also doing up a similar job for swazi mat. Exception being Matt needs upper clamps bored out to accomodate an earlier fork with 56mm upper.

Steves been kind enough to source me the parts I'm still needing. Fork guards and clamping hardware for brakeline, a new WRF axle and nut, drop out rings from ZipTy, his spacers which will allow me to use the GG wheel as is, and a few other unrelated misc items.

Very much appreciated Steve as I'd be scratching for time and then have to find someone to do the machine work for me. This gives me a few weeks to get the forks valved up and the whole deal should almost be plug and play once everything arrives.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 PM

Congrats on new kid. Sure saps the energy out of you trying to catch up on sleep its hard to go hard on a project.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Haven't had a whole lot of free time at the moment with the new bub and missus home all the time. School runs, and now school holidays, not to mention visitors and christmas approaching rapidly. The shed actually needs a bloody good clean!

I'll start posting up some stack info soon.

In regards to the fitment. Forks slid right in with no issues. Brake carrier is still in transit. The 04 WR250F axle is too long as somewhere along the lines Yamaha moved the lugs inwards, so while I've been able to slide an axle through I haven't been able to progress any further.

Prior to this I'd been in contact with Steve (twowheels) about sourcing some spare seals and found he is also doing up a similar job for swazi mat. Exception being Matt needs upper clamps bored out to accomodate an earlier fork with 56mm upper.

Steves been kind enough to source me the parts I'm still needing. Fork guards and clamping hardware for brakeline, a new WRF axle and nut, drop out rings from ZipTy, his spacers which will allow me to use the GG wheel as is, and a few other unrelated misc items.

Very much appreciated Steve as I'd be scratching for time and then have to find someone to do the machine work for me. This gives me a few weeks to get the forks valved up and the whole deal should almost be plug and play once everything arrives.
The next (and hardest) part about the project for Matt will be constructing an appropriate shipping container for the forks and related parts to head across the ocean in. Cabinetry is not my first love

Your goodies are nearly ready to go, but ZipTy is playing hard to get. As I've said in the past though, I may not be the fastest guy but I am quite possibly the most persistent. Hopefully Santa will make both you and Swazi Matt happy
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters