Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default What to wear?

Looks like the sandlapper national enduro next weekend will be a rain race. Plenty of experience racing MX and HS in the rain. But, not an enduro. Need help on gear recommendations for cold and wet. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 PM

i have done about 50 miles in the rain and on the 30 mile trip it was 35F.
what i recommend is this:

Rain jacket/poncho, you can pick up a cheap poncho at a cvs iirc

i never did this but to keep the water out of your boot duct tape might work, i don't know but if you do it tight enough it should be good.

if you use goggle they will fog i hear rainx melts the goggles but my sources is a bit shady and never messed it up for me that again it did not work well.
what i use and what (to my knowledge) the armed forces use is wax. "cat crap anti fog" is what i plan on buying to replace my near empty "blaze wax" that we picked up 3 years ago from a bike show.

If you have it snow sport goggles should be better as they are made to reduce fog with large vents on the front and bottom of the goggle.

the wet is not to bad, it is really just the cold.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 AM

I have a set of Moose Gore-tex gear and MSR Gore-tex gloves that I bought a long time ago. I only use them a couple times a year so the set has lasted forever. That's a good thing bc that stuff isn't cheap. It was about $250 each for jacket and pants, so about $500 plus overall. But it is the business, it's both waterproof and windproof,it has gaiters that fit over you boots. When riding the Gore Tex breathes but its waterproof so you stay dry no water how nasty it gets. It is some really incredible gear.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Using an old lense and taping it to the end of the visor can work well to stop bulk rain and mud from contacting the pri lense in your googles.

We ride in the rain half the year, but its never cold. Thats something I wouldn't know how to deal with.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM

I find I sweat like crazy, wearing rain gear. I wear high quality synthetic "long" underwear, underneath my normal stuff. Rainwear overheats me like crazy...even at near freezing temps. I'd rather get wet & muddy. I do wear fleece liners in my gloves...Wet, but warm.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 AM

I wear a 'wicking' base layer in the cold but if it's cold AND raining, you could just ride in your boxers. You're gonna be miserable after the first test anyway.

I don't remember thinking those things 40 years ago :roll eyes:

I have heard good things about FroggToggs for keeping yo dry and breathing so you don't sweat to death
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks guys. Usually I have better sense. (Old). But my riding partner is trying to win his class. I agreed to do 4 nationals if he would go to HS with me this year. He sees the rain race as an "opportunity" since many may not show. I see it as an opportunity to stay home and get some work done.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:14 AM

The best thing I found that I can race in is a lite wind breaker jacket like a moose quick coat/thor pack jacket. Great for cold/wet rides. Sandlapper trail is mostly tight,you'll stay warm. Dry gloves in the fanny pack is a must have.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I wear a trash bag.
Punch out holes for your head and arms and slip it on.
Easy to ditch it at a gas stop.

Disposable gloves work well under your riding gloves.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:42 PM

that trash bag trick is a goodie.seen a few guys do that on the rugby and soccer field too under their strip.also seen a cardboard box taped around a goalies torso to protect cracked ribs and old magazines rolled/taped around the forearms to provide a stiffer 'hit' in rugby,rugby league tackles(illegal now as I believe its quite effective!)
wet weather gear cuts the windchill the best but generally doesn't breathe well so you sweat up anyway,but if you don't wear it youll be wet sooner and the windchill will be brutal,ultimately youll be much colder IMO.id also consider over the boot pants and a helmet mod to stop rain getting down your neck.