Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Default 250 or 300 Help me decide

So I'm ready to get a 2010 GG. I've been riding GasGas since 1998 (owned a 98250 EC and a 03 DE) and would never think of another 2T brand. Both of the ones I have owned have been great bikes and both were 250's. Prior to thr GG, back in the 90's I rode KTM 300's, loved them but they also tended to be a little finicky to jetting, but the power was great for the Michigan sand.

Since I went GG, It'salways bee a 250 and I have never ridden the 300 Gasser. I ride in the Southeast (clay, mud rocks, minimal sand like back home in Michigan where I grew up racing), I still run some harescarmbles and an occassional Enduro, Senior A class rider. Love the tight stuff and how the 250 works, but everyone I have talked to just loves the 300.

Any thoughts....Help me.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 PM

I have ridden all of them including the 450. The 250 is by far my favorite. That being said I love my 125 too! It just suits the crap we have to ride here. Nice and light. It really come down to personal preference though. Their all good bikes. Witch just makes it harder to decide.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM

It's a tough call. My personal preference is the 250, mostly because I race. The 300 is really fun, but after 3 hours it's a handful. Granted, I'm only 165-170lbs.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'd get the one the dealer has in stock.
If he has both, flip a coin! Really you can't go wrong. I find the 250 is slightly less tiring to ride over a long day.

The GG 300 is not near as finicky as the old '90s KTM 300s to jet (neither are the new KTM 300s for that matter). They are pretty easy to get right. I'd suggest doing the RB-Designs squish band mod, which makes it even easier to jet.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 AM

250. Especially for a senior A rider who will still race. Like what was said, the 300 is great fun and an awesome technical trail bike, but the off idle yank gets to you. If I just torqued around trail riding, and could stop when I want, no racing, I'd get a 300.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM

I've got an 06 300 ....I'm on a small bore kick at the moment ... My other bike is a husky cr 144 ... I find the 300 can be a bit much especially when you get tired. I really like how you can ride a small bore at its limits so to speak and not scare the bejesus out of your self. I don't have the skill to get anywhere near the limits of my 300. I ride a lot of tight technical stuff so I constantly have to pay attention to the throttle. I have no experience with 250's but I'd love to have some seat time on one. If I was going to get another gasser it would most likely be a 200. an ec 125 sounds interesting too
Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Site Sponsor

for me it's more fun to ride a small bike fast and to it's limit...the 200 is perfect for me. i'd like to try a 144.. i have a friend who races yz125 and does quite well against the 450/250 4t's - he's always starts on the line right in front of me, and i get a chuckle how he gets a massive holeshot on everyone else with their 450's... he's always first into the woods... my starts suck, but i actually has a good one last week and got into the woods 2nd of 12 on my line - and that class is all 300 2t and 450 4t orange bikes.. i personally think i'd get myself into too much trouble on the 300 in a race environment.....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM

i would not have bought a 300 if i did not find out that a french woman won the ISDE on a GasGas 300 .now that i realize the effort it is to kick in certain position and the difficulties i have jetting it i would have sticked to the 250.
actually i still have my 250 from 2003 and it is not for sale anymore.never had to touch the jetting. same original plug in 5 years,will take old gas no matter. does not smoke i used very little oil 1.5% synthetic.the piston after five years was looking like new still in the clearance.with few overheatings along the way. you cannot go wrong with the 250.nice rock crawling ability at low rpm and a good kick on top.
SWM 250 TF1 1981
TXT 250 2003
Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Cool

if ur just riding trail with the odd race thrown in for fun every now and then i would go the 300 as it is tops for that as u don't have to thrash it to climb the hills or get thru the mud only thing is when rear tyre looks about half worn it's time for a new one cause if u don't then they become a handful just tryin to get traction but overall awesome machine 300 is the way to go

chris
07 ec300
o/s pv cover , power now plus
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 AM

it depends on what you want. I have an 06 300, love it. It can be a handful at the end of the day because it has so much power. There is no off the pipe, or out of the power unless you are literally two or three gears higher then you should be. That being said, that's also it's best point. When you gotta make it up that hill it's just roll on and go. if your even in the ballpark of the right rpm (and right RPM is anything above stupid low, and it will run that low) the bike will accelerate and go. However, the motor isn't super snappy the way an on the pipe 2 stroke can be. Not saying it doesn't move, but it's a little more four stroke like in the way it pulls. It still jumps, but it's a little smoother jump.

I don't have a lot of time on a 250 but here is my impression. It does have an off the pipe area. When your tired I think this will be a life saver because down there. Then there is the top end. the 250 can hit, though, i'm sure it can be jetted and modified out but the one i rode did have it. It's a much snappier motor and you better be pointed in the right direction when it hits because it's gonna go, and probably not with the front wheel on the ground if your not ready for it. Scared me when I first hit it after coming off the 300.

Peak output really is the same, however the 300 pulls more, and doesn't seem to rev as fast as the 250. The 300 really is somewhere between a 2-stroke and a 4 stroke in the way it makes it's power. the 250 is 2-stroke all the way. So it's a question of which do you want? Don't think you can really go wrong though. if your getting an older bike which color will match your truck better, blue or red?