Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 AM

Default Static Impressions - 300 Race

Fresh out of the crate and ready to ride - but first a few impressions on the new bike. In no particular order ...

* the air filter is the same as last year, but once you get your lunchbox out of the way access seems to be improved over last year. There's lots of sharp plastic under the seat though, so beware.
* the new brake pedal rocks!
* the new Ohlins shock has low-speed compression but not high-speed compression adjustment
* the hard-to-turn knob to adjust rebound has been replaced by a tiny hard-to-adjust allen screw to adjust rebound ... we'll be making a tool for this
* you'll likely have to hit the shrouds really hard to get them to pop out of the grommets - cool. They seem pretty flexible, although this may not be evident on the trail
* the new seat is really light, and it looks like the preferred path for air into the airbox is underneath the back half of the seat. I'm not sold on bolting up into the seat from underneath the fender - sure KTM does it, but the bolt will get packed with mud and you tend to push the seat up when you're trying to bolt it together. That and if gravity is still acting in the same direction as years past a loose seat bolt will be a lost seat bolt and maybe a lost seat.
* steering lock seems to have been diminished with the frame change
* the seat top is tapered at the sides, but seat height is noticeably taller. At 5'11" I can't touch the pads of my feet to the ground, whereas I could almost flat-foot entirely on the 2011 250 Race. Big guys will love it!
* the fastener usage is SO MUCH BETTER
* the new plastic (headlight shell, front fender, rear fender and side panels, shrouds) are fantastic, and the hand-holds under the rear fender rock. The side plates are big enough for real numbers.
* clutch pull with the new Magura master cylinder seems slightly firmer, but more direct
* the coil has moved, as has the CDI which is now located just in front of the fuel tank on the front down-tube
* the boss for the head stay is still on the cylinder head, but it doesn't go anywhere
* my prototype rad braces from 2010/11 bolted right up
* the petcock directs fuel to the right of the bike before looping under the intake and to the carb. Jetting will be slightly more difficult because of this and other clearance issues.

Ride report to follow as soon as I can find a trail without crusty snow and ice ...

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 AM

She's darn good looking !

Shock not having the ability to tune high speed compression is incomprehensible, after all that new shock is an upgrade from the older 2011 model... don't get it...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM

No snow or ice here. Come on down!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the in depth report on the good and the bad.

It figures that just when I find a bike (2011 250 Race) that fits me they go and make it taller. It seriously makes me tempted to pick up another 2011 Race just to have when this one wears out. My wife doesn't really need a new car does she?

No snow here either. If I get over this cold enough I'll be riding this weekend.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Thats the one thing that bugs me at only 5'9". The prior height was perfect.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Why would they take the high speed adjustment out of the shock? So the only way to adjust this is with valving?

It didn't seem to slow Clay down at the GA enduro!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Site Sponsor

any chance you can see if that brake pedal fits the earlier frames? it sure looks like it does....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
any chance you can see if that brake pedal fits the earlier frames? it sure looks like it does....
I let a friend of mine have my rear brake pedal to see if he could make the brake pedal work. Will let you all know what he finds out.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperrider1 View Post
Why would they take the high speed adjustment out of the shock? So the only way to adjust this is with valving?

It didn't seem to slow Clay down at the GA enduro!
Guys....the shock is good, especially with the new linkage.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks Steve for your report. I fugured you would have a good one and you sure did . Nothing like a few glam shots of a bike to send me into the spend mode. Do they look as good in person as the pics show? At 5' 7" I too wish they were the same seat height but I know most riders wanted/needed a taller bike and having two Huskys I'm use to being on my tip toes LOL. I guess a good suspension shop could take an 1" or so out if I really needed it. Thanks again.