Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Default 2012 EC300 e-start walk around video, pics, etc...

Hey everyone,

Here is a short video of my 2012, but first a little back ground. I have been riding and racing(harescrambles) on a 08 YZ250 for the past 3 years. I have it revalved, big tank, jetting dialed, Rekluse zstart pro, etc...I love my YZ. It has been nothing but reliable and fun to ride. That being said, its still a MX bike converted to a woods bike. The close ratio trans is annoying at times, and it has no stator for lighting. I ride in the hills of WV and SE Ohio. I plan to start running enduros and Ohio dual sports, both require lights and a plate so the YZ wasnt going to cut it. We ride tight twisty single track and atv trails. Trails are generally rocky, rooty, and muddy.

I have been looking at Gassers for few years. The dealer options have been limited but last year my local KTM shop picked up GasGas. I went to look at the 11 EC300 they had last summer and almost bought it. I was hesitant and decided to wait. Then they got the 2012 (kick only) back in March. I fell in love, the ergos were good and the fit/finish was excellent. In the middle of May the KTM shop had a demo day so I went and rode the 300XC, TE300, and 250XC. I loved the 300 motor and decided my trusty YZ was going to get a new stable mate. I pondered ordering a 13' 300xc but there was just something about the GasGas that just felt right so I waited on the GasGas. I trusted my gut and went with what feels right. So far so good.

I picked it up on May 30. The day I brought her home

IMG_1102 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

A short walk around video
http://youtu.be/ckTeRcm4hgs?hd=1

First day on the trails

IMG_1112 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

300 smokers by Rider_wv, on Flickr

I will post up a post ride video and some trail videos later. I am still uploading them...

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

We have two great dealers in WV. Ridersville and Appalachian.
Which one did you buy your bike from?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM

My local dealer is Appalachian Offroad Motorcycles, in Crosslanes, WV. They are great guys to deal with and they gave me a good deal on the GasGas. I ride with some of the employees almost every weekend.

I plug them in the post ride video

A big thanks to AOMC for carrying GasGas. I had to go back saturday to order parts, I was so excited to get the new bike home and tear up my yard I forgot to order armor when I picked it up.

Clay, just a quick question...should the rear sag be set to 100mm?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM

Nice bike! and a big thumbs up for the Geigerrig !

As far as sag- most success has been found with pre load on the CORRECT rate spring in the 10-12mm range and let the sag fall where it will. I believe the stock spring is 5.2 and is ok for up to about 180 lbs ungeared rider. look here for a ton of info from the gurus here http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1628
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I love my GeigerRig 1600. It hauls just enough stuff for a full day on the trail. It never moves, never leaks and takes a beating in the greenbriars and when I am sliding down the mountain on my head
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Here is a post ride video:
http://youtu.be/88wiYAxJgeI

My wife thinks I am retarded for walking around talking about my new bike She also doesnt understand why I keep talking about smiling when I ride it. Dirt bikes are suppose to be fun, if I am laughing and smiling in my helmet all day long then I feel that is a good gauge on how fun the bike is.

I have to fine tune the jetting and get the suspension dialed in, mainly the forks. They are nice and plush but I found them deflecting off of rocks and cross ruts in an odd manner.

I also forgot to mention the bike is super stable at speed, not a single sign of head shake either seated or standing.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Sorry my video is incorrect, AOMC is ktm-parts.com, bergparts.com and gasserparts.com

one thing i forgot to address in my post ride video is the gas tank. I love the fact it has a translucent tank on it. All of my offroad and DS bikes have translucent tanks. Its very nice to glance down and see the fuel level.

On the 12' gasser its almost impossible to see the actual fuel level. You have to get off slosh it and look through the gaps in the frame and body work. WHile Trail riding its not an issue at all. During a race it may become an issue, you cannot just glance down at speed and see the fuel level.

I love the way the tank is mounted and it makes the bike very narrow and the seat very flat, for all the added benefits I will deal with the minor inconvienence of the mostly hidden tank. I just wanted to give a heads up to the guys that are used to seeing the fuel level easily.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Thats not much different than the previous bikes. While there may be a little more tank viewable with the old design, its still not easy to get a good picture while racing. Not a big deal once you know the bike and its thirst for fuel.

I notice that you have the small plastic glide plate, I thought all the bikes after the first shipment came with the full coverage AXP polymer skidplate.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thats not much different than the previous bikes. While there may be a little more tank viewable with the old design, its still not easy to get a good picture while racing. Not a big deal once you know the bike and its thirst for fuel.

I notice that you have the small plastic glide plate, I thought all the bikes after the first shipment came with the full coverage AXP polymer skidplate.
There was a list in the parts box of the items that didnt ship with the bike, the skid plate was one of them. Carb kit, skid plate and manual/CD...That was one of the reasons we stuck to the easy trails, that exposed water pump makes me nervous in rocks.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_wv View Post
Here is a post ride video:
http://youtu.be/88wiYAxJgeI

I have to fine tune the jetting and get the suspension dialed in, mainly the forks. They are nice and plush but I found them deflecting off of rocks and cross ruts in an odd manner.

Two good needles to try are the NEDJ and N3CJ. I have tried a bunch of setups using jakobi's posts and these two needles worked great. N3CJ has more hit. The NEDJ is perfect for gnarly singletrack.