Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Default REAL weight of 06 or 07 EC300

Anyone weighed their 06 or 07 (or even the 08) without fuel to get an actual real world weight???

Here is what Gas Gas lists for weights.

06 300 103kg which = 227 lbs
07 300 99kg which = 218.2 lbs
08 300 98kg which = 216 lbs

The Austrailian Dirt Bike Magazine test review that I linked to from this site lists the 07 EC300 at 109.5kg WITHOUT fuel which = 241.4 lbs

We're talking a difference of anywhere from 14.4lbs to 23.2lbs here. That allot of difference AND weight.

I want to know the REAL weight of one of these things before I buy one. I'm not going to replace my 250lb KTM with a 241lb bike no matter how "light feeling" the thing is. Just not acceptable in my book. I'll buy the 227lb KTM with the e-start I'm sorry. I would REALLY hope the GG bike is under 230lbs real world weight without fuel. I don't believe for a second the 08 218lb claim but if it's true that's AWESOME. Even if it's measured without the light package.

In all fairness they also listed the e-start KTM at 107.1kg which = 236.1 lbs. which I know is wrong by almost 10 lbs. The KTM is a very light bike for real in the mid 220's. Their 200XC/W is under 210lbs also.

So what's the "real deal" here with the weight

Skidad in MA

Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Good luck with the real weight on the bikes unless you can find a shoot-out where the testers weigh each bike with the same amount fuel in each one, there is a sport bike rag that weighs each bike on the same scale w/the same amount of fuel in each one and the results are eye opening to say the least about manufacture weight claims. As you pointed out the 14.4lbs. diiff. in a bike that weighs under 240lbs. is BS and really dosn't help the consumer at all. in sport bikes the claimed weight & real world weight can be 3 to 4 times that. Some manf. have claimed dry weights without even the batt. being installed?? Then no one knows exactly what "claimed dry weight" means is that just fuel or tran. oil or fork oil or batt/batt. with out water? Any way I'll keep my eye on this thread just see if any body knows what these bikes really weigh.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM

When a manufacturer lists dry weight, they mean DRY. No fork oil, no engine oil, no coolant, no shock oil, NOTHING!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The 241 pound weight with no fuel sounds close - for a fully street legal trimmed EC300. The DOT legal tires add about 5 pounds to the weight of the bike over a michelin s12 off road only tire. All of the electrics and taillight add another few pounds. The heavier ignition adds a bit... It all adds up. Most of the '06s and '07s in country are DE models that do not have all this equipment. GasGas in the U.S. has sometimes sent new bikes in crates to the magazines with the DOT legal knobbies etc. so that they were in "euro street legal" trim and didn't set them up at all - really foolish if you ask me..

Your weights listed for ktm are "dry weights" and are total fantasy... Honda must have been sued by someone recently - they are now listing "curb weights" for all their bikes - weight with fluids and fuel - but even those look 10-15 pounds shy to me. Very rarely will a magazine pull out it's own scale - and when they do they will sometimes go along with the lies to help out the manufacturer who is paying them for advertising...

If you are greatly concerned about weight - look for an '07 - the redesigned subframe/tail section is lighter and they don't come with all the street legal gear, etc.

And I know everyone says it - but a gasgas does feel lighter than anything else out there. Why? Tighter steering geometry and the low/compact perimeter frame keeps mass centralized where it falls easily into a corner and you can flick it around. I had a euro spec 2001 ec300 - it wasn't light - it came in full street legal trim and gasgas has since lightened up the engine & frame by a noticable amount -> but every one of my friends who rode it said it was the lightest feeling big bore they had ever ridden and were quite amazed. And this was riding in tight & mucky northwest woods...

I have said this many times - but a few friends had ktms and it felt like I was riding "on top of them" after hopping off the gasgas. It felt like a "blunt instrument" versus a "surgical instrument"...

Bottom line is that you need to ride a gasgas 300 that is set up for off road. After that, you won't be worrying so much!

jeff

Last edited by jeffd; 01-13-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Site Sponsor

Too many people worry about a couple of pounds. Ride it, then make a decision. The '07/'08's are lighter than the '06's and your old KTM.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM

we ride with a guy who let me try out his 08 ktm 300e-start,very very nice ride,would love to throw a leg over an 08 gasser,maybe he would let you take it for a spin? I could ask,you could compare my 06 gasser to his 08 ktm,my 06 300 has to be heavy,I have swingarm guards,handguards,heavy duty tubes on both ends,lights,rear light subframe support,protect mount with damper and computer,and a 3 gallon tank,skid plate and pipe guard,but I havent had any problems with noticing the weight at all,if fact the reason I bought it was because it tracked so straight over the rocks because it was heavy,like the 450,I want one of those real bad,too bad there isnt any dealers close by having test ride days like they used to,I got to try out every bike gasgas made that day,from my 02 125,05 200,06 200,06 250,05 300,06 300,05 450, lets just say I was in heaven and having a hard time choosing my new bike
Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM

'07 EC250 with rad guards, hand guards, Scotts Damper, Scotts sharkfin/caliper carrier, HD tubes, Hyde combo, and Full tank: 249 lbs.

And YES, it does feel a lot lighter.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladoo View Post
Too many people worry about a couple of pounds. Ride it, then make a decision. The '07/'08's are lighter than the '06's and your old KTM.
1st we're not talking a few pounds here. Compared to my current bike we're talking up to a possible 25lb difference. I'm a decent rider but I do get tired and fall down. At the end of a ride my 50 year old muscles can feel a 25lb difference in weight.

Quote:
When a manufacturer lists dry weight, they mean DRY. No fork oil, no engine oil, no coolant, no shock oil, NOTHING!
I don't believe this is what Gas Gas is doing

Quote:
The 241 pound weight with no fuel sounds close - for a fully street legal trimmed EC300. The DOT legal tires add about 5 pounds to the weight of the bike over a michelin s12 off road only tire. All of the electrics and taillight add another few pounds. The heavier ignition adds a bit... It all adds up. Most of the '06s and '07s in country are DE models that do not have all this equipment.
The Aussie bike has nothing to do with a DOT bike, it comes stripped except for lights.

Quote:
Your weights listed for ktm are "dry weights" and are total fantasy...
Sorry your wrong here. The weights for the new KTM's have been confirmed by a number of sources.

Quote:
'07 EC250 with rad guards, hand guards, Scotts Damper, Scotts sharkfin/caliper carrier, HD tubes, Hyde combo, and Full tank: 249 lbs.
This would put the bike without fuel around the 230 lb mark I believe. Gas weighs about 6lbs x 2.5 gallons and that's 15lbs. The rest of you goodies must add easily another 5 lbs or more. Looks like the 227lbs might be on the money.

Skidad in MA
Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Actually lot of bikes coming into Australia actually have EVERYTHING still on them because of what you have to have to get them rego'd.

Dual purpose type tyres, mirrors, indicators and the switch gear/wiring for them.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Skidad,

Please, take a test ride ASAP and put this to rest.

Two of my friends had '07 KTMs, one a 250 and one a 300. While good in their day, they feel like a school bus compared to an '07 GasGas, or any good '07 2-stroke for that matter.

The GG has a light compact feel and is easy to handle all day in the nasty woods. I'll be 50 this year as well, and beleive me the package works. Its more than the weight or lack of, its the suspension and geometry that make a bike either easy to ride or a handful.