Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Default 2007 US Pricing?

Does anyone have the 07 US Retail Pricing? I have heard that the 07s went up quite a bit in price from 06 but havent seen any firm #s.

Thanks
Scott

Old 10-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

An example would be EC 300 w/ohlins rear Marzochi front. MSRP $7595 A little bit different bike but DE300 in 06 was $6995. No DE listed anymore.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:04 PM

Click the link to "The Bike Shed", all MSRPs listed there. WOW. '07 EC250 w/Ohlins rear, $7495!!

A bit too much, IMO. I will rethink my plans, especially since there in no DE available.

The price, and lack of the popular DE will not go over big, at least here in the NE where KTMs are very stiff competition.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM

They have gone up a lot in Canada as well. An 07 EC300 is up $500 CDN for 07. As a dealer, I am not real happy about this.

What is the benefit of the DE model over the EC? Is the lighter FWW that much better on the DEs?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Lot of money just for "bold new sub-frame and side panels".

2007 KTM 300 XCW can be had for $6,300.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 PM

I paid $5,950.00 for my '03 EC 300 when I bought it [new] from Smackover Motor Sports back in January of 2003.

Now, you're tell me the '07's are selling for $7,495.00!!!

Jeez... Adjusted for America's average rate of inflation, an EC 300 will cost double its current list price in (approximately) 19 years!

Lucky me! I'll be "racing" wheel chairs at a retirement center, by then.

TP
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Does GasGas think that people will actually spend $7500 for a 2T bike? I don't want to hear about the dollar is weak against the euro crap... blah, blah, blah. The 2007 KTM's are going for low to mid $6K. If GG does not compete at this price level, then it is already over before it begins. I can see 4T bikes in the $7k range with the added complexity and part costs. Nothing like building a stronger GG dealer network with a bunch of overpriced bikes for sale.

If the actual selling price is really this high, I'm seriously considering alternative brands for my new 2T bike.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 AM

For approximately $8,000.00, I can walk out of my local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer with one heck of a nice sport bike; and, it'll come complete with four times the amount of cylinders, triple the braking, fuel injection, and a "custom" paint job--not to mention a viable warrantee.

How is it, the Japanese are able to offer state-of-the-art sport bikes for a very reasonable price, when compared to a stripped-down dirt bike with plastic fenders--that includes parts and established technologies "borrowed" from other manufacturers' previous R&D?

I'm seeing another color in my riding future!

TP PS: As consumers, the most effective way we have to show our disapproval is to exercise discretion and shop elsewhere.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:29 AM

Thumbs down

Scott,

The DEs are popular here, especially with the fast guys, because they rev a bit quicker with the smaller flywheel, and offer the flexibility of adding weights for varying terrain. For a multi-use enduro/hare scrambles bike this makes sense. The 14 oz weight is very good, and the bike smooth enough that its not a real disadvantage in the slick stuff, IMO. I have both ignitions, and prefer the 2K-2 with a 14 oz for all around use. If I lived in the slop like in WA state, or needed the 75W, then I could see the big ignition being more suitable. Also, we do not need all the Euro street legal stuff, its not DOT anyway and the bike will not go through inspection. A clear MSO that can be registered and titled is fine.

The sales numbers proved it here, most American riders want the DE. The '06s sold fast.

If GG intends to compete, I'm afraid they just shot themselves in the foot. Sorry, $7495 is too much, especially when its worth $2500 in a few years. If its a Euro/dollar issue then how can MV Agusta/Husqvarna, a similar size Euro factory, crank out '07 WR250s for just over $6K, and the WR is a good bike.

I imagine the parts prices will take a proportional jump as well. Bummer.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM

You are seeing the struggle that small mfgs have in global marketing. Where larger mfgs can "subsidize" some markets by charging more where one country has a strong economy and less where there are weaker economies. The USA used to be the cash cow for mfgs (for example a yz125 may have been 25% more $$$ in the USA than Canada). The Japanese and KTM (and Husky) are not making much on the USA market right now (at least compared to historical measures). Also, the Japanese and KTM / Husky are able to offset the cost of 2T's by bringing in a higher margin on 4T models. The Japanese have a further advantage in that they also sell street bikes and quads to bring up margins. From what I understand, there is very little difference is mfg cost for a 80cc mx bike and a 1000cc road bike (say $4,000), yet as we know, the price tag is very different. You do the math.
My beloved handmade TM brand has suffered in the US market the last few years for this reason. The price of the bike reflects the margin needed to make a profit in Italy, regardless of any one country's local economy.
Like it or not, BMG is a marketing company and has done a great job creating the infrastructure needed for Husaberg to become a viable brand to carry (as a dealer) and own in the USA and Canada, I presume they are doing what is needed to make it work. Additionally, they have to do it without having the luxury of selling lots of expensive replacement parts (like the Japanese 4T's that devour engine parts) to generate revenue. If you want viable dealers and a strong parts supply, you gotta pay. Garage saling last years models (like many Husky and GasGas buyers are used to) does very little to fill the coffers. GasGas and Husky have gotten them selves into a bad rut, Husky may survive because the got street legal status on their 4T's and they are selling well. I think if GasGas is to survive and grow (and hopefully get decent resale), they need to show that they are great performing bikes (we know they are), and that parts are available. How much do you want a GasGas, and do you want it to survive?
that's my 2 cents, and then some!