Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up Bought my first Gas Gas 05 EC250!

I recently bought a fairly nice 05 EC250. I have a few questions on setup and info on this bike. I have ridden it once in the nasty wet trail and it was a blast. Owner found manual and is sending it to me ASAP.

05 EC250 w/300 kit....Don't know anymore about it. Low mileage.

Michelin Trials tire on rear...

Clarke oversize tank...kind of tight. Is the stock tank better?

no lights, front or rear...what is my best solution for good light kit? Stock? other? I am getting it plated in Colorado and it has a title and registration.

FMF Fatty w/eline protector. Any other good pipes out there? This one good?

Guts tall seat...Only downfall, at 5'8" I can get one toe on ground. Tough getting started on trail sometimes.

I browsed and saw a thread about dual ignition. Can I do I have this?

Thanks for any response and I am real happy to have this bike. Other than getting parts I am looking forward to some real fun trail riding. What a sweet bike.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 AM

You should be able to run dual ignition - check to see if there is a little loop in the ECU harness - 2 single pole wires about 4" long normally disconnected as stock which is the dry setting.

I wish you were in the Uk I would swap seats! I'd be interested to try a tall one. - find some-on in the US who wants to swap.

The stock tank is a lot lower than the clarke I believe and looks a lot neater. Mouth opening is still big on the stock 05 tanks. (easy to refil)

Tha Fatty gives more grunt off the bottom as the expense of some power on top - most people think its a good pipe - it depends on what type of terrain you are ridign whether you would want to change it (more high speed stuff?)

Stock lights are good IMO but the angle of the stock number plate holder (close to vertical) looks old skool - get a newer one with more of an angle looks better - I'd try an aftermarket LED rear light and the stock front is good - H7 halogen you can run 60W (with euro stators anyway) and it's good enough to ride off road in the dark. Stock light switches I find good.

Welcome to the club!
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 AM

About the dual ignition the switch should be less than $10 they are v.cheap.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

i have a 300 i have had for about 6 months now and love it. I am short too, gofasters has a lowering link that helps on that. I am 5'6" and can actually get both toes on the ground now.
they are great bikes, you don't notice how great they are, till you hop on something else....... I rode a freind of mine's 07 kx450 this weekend and hated it compared to my 01 xc300....
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. I assume the ECU is the electronics bungied and padded under the seat behind the air filter. It said Kokusan(sp?). I can see where all the wiring went to the back light too. I think I will consider the stock light if you feel it is good enough to ride at night. That is always a bonus. I will look into the dual switch too. I am not so great with wiring but have a friend who is. Hopefully when I get my manual it will show the schematics. The dry setting is the aggressive setting? Rain is?

I wonder if the lowering link affects the suspension in front. I noticed that when I put the bike on a stand about 1-1/2 to 2 inches of sag on the forks. Is this normal?

I hear the stock seat is sort of tough..not much padding. I can see with the shape of the tank though.

Once again great to hear the replies and hope to have a ride report later.