Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 AM

Default Disturbing find.....!

I have an '06 250 ec and I decided it was time to change the fork oil for the first time. Its got probably 60 hrs on it and the right hand fork seal was leaking just a tad bit so I ordered some Synergy Seals.

Took the forks over to a buddies house last nite to do the work as he has all the right tools.

On disassembly of the left fork, everything went fine. The oil was not too bad but it was time to change it. On reassembly, I will be using Repsol 5w fluid, but it will be next week before the assembly can get under way.....

The right fork leg, on disassembly was the disturbing part. When we got the
lower fork tube out of the outer tube, we found the large flat washer that sits under the bushings on the lower tube was missing. We were very careful of disassembly to keep all parts separated from one fork leg to the other. Apparently it was left out at the factory. I noticed when I took the forks out of the triple clamps, I compressed each one by hand and noticed a slight bit of "free play" in the right one that the left didn't have. Probably why the fork seal was leaking too.

I am going to call GoFasters this morning and see if they have one and get it
headed this way. So thats why it'll be until next week (hopefully!) when I get
them finished.

Just thought y'all would find this interesting....

Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Doesn't surprise me.
I think if GG ever sort their quality systems they'll scare a few big manufacturers. The designs are good. The build is hit and miss. Better each year but had they sorted it to begin with they'd double or triple the size now.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

The thing though is that the fork was probably assembled in Italy, unless someone else knows different for sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

This is inside the forks. I can't imaging GasGas opens up the forks when assembling the bikes. I think that suggests a QA issue at Marzocchi.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Yeah, I chalk this one up to Marzzochi's assembly line.

I called GoFasters this morning, talked to Jeff, it was about 830am cst and I was surprised to get an answer that early. He said it was -13F there with a foot of new snow and he was already at work! Thats some dedication right there! I told him I wouldn't have got out of bed if it was that cold here!
Anyway, they had the part I needed and I should have it early next week.

GoFasters pulls through again! Great to do business with!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM

True probably Marzzochi.
But I still think GasGas need to improve. Love the bikes for the way they ride but they are no where near KTM for quality or robustness. I just think it's a shame when the design itself yields a bike that rides so nice.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Sorry to go off track but.. I too found the inner bearing/thrust washer missing from the sprocket side of the rear wheel last week. I know it sounds hard to believe but I just couldn't understand it. I must have bought a friday built bike. I was a bit dissapointed

Adam
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM

I don't agree on the robustness remark. I replaced more broken parts the 3 years I rode KTM than I have the last 7 riding GG. Having said that I think both brands are getting more fragile as a result of their quest for ever lighter weight.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 AM

At the minute my 05 300 is a lot more robust than either my 99 200 ktm, a friends 99 ktm or another friends 07 200 ktm. They have quite a few issues - all of them have clutch slave cylinder issues, some clutch master cylinders and a surprising amount of faults on the 07 ktm that seemed like poor design or quality.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Bukwheat - I would rebuild with standard 7.5wt oil as whatever issue you are trying to fix will be changed when you build the forks correctly. Quite a few people think these forks could do with more rebound damping and 5wt will only reduce this from stock.

Was it the compression check plate washer (spring loaded) that was missing?
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)