Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:45 AM

Default I hate my skid-plate

Its time to change my oil in my GG Ec 250.

I have one of those Kawasaki KX skid-plates, and the oil drain hole doesnt match up. I should have checked that when I installed it. MY Bad !!!

Now I am thinking that there should be a skid-plate for my 2005 Gas gas EC 250 that is made of Carbon-Fiber. If there is one that will fit, I can cut a drain plug hole myself.

I have the carbon fiber pipe protector, and think that a CF skid-plate would look pretty cool. GoFasters has a CF helmet that Im drooling over too.

Any ideas ??

Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Couldn't you drill a new hole in your current skid plate?

I have a Flatland skid plate with aligned holes, but I think it makes a mess when you drain the tranny with it on. I just remove it since it takes about a 1 minute with two front bolts. Then, I have full access and drain it easily. I like to lean the bike from side-to-side after it's almost fully drained. That way, I get more out of the engine. If the skid plate was on, it would run all over the skid plate when leaned. Also, I get to clean out all of the mud and leaves that collect between the skid plate and engine. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up The voice of reason... Speaks

I was looking to get a skidplate made of Carbon Fiber because CF looks so cool. I am contemplating the CF Helmet at Gofasters, and hae found some CF fork guards too. I just thought that a Cf skid-plate would be a cool addition to my CF theme.

Thanks Matt for the voice of reason.

I still hate that Kawa 250 plate.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Take a look at the Hyde plate before you go CF. It will certainly last a lot longer and the weight penalty from CF to plastic is negligible. The drain hole lines right up, but I still create a disaster but that's a personal problem. It is a tight enough fit against the bike that almost zero mud and crud get underneath it.

Just search Hyde in the archives we were talking about them previously. Also, Hebo CF helmet is sweet, but I just saw an HJC CF helmet as well. Looks just as good, maybe even better because it's full carbon or full carbon with some black graphics overlay.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRDave View Post
I was looking to get a skidplate made of Carbon Fiber because CF looks so cool. I am contemplating the CF Helmet at Gofasters, and hae found some CF fork guards too. I just thought that a Cf skid-plate would be a cool addition to my CF theme.

Thanks Matt for the voice of reason.

I still hate that Kawa 250 plate.
anyone i know of that used a Carbon Fiber skid plate destroyed it. and if they had a carbon fiber pipe guard they didn't know thier pipe was smashed. i saw alot of this in the service dept. we would tear down a top end for repair, remove the exhuast and pipe guard, low and behold the pipes squashed. carbon fiber will flex in, dent the pipe, and the return to it's normal shape. you'll know your pipes dented with an aluminum guard. carbon fiber does look nice.....i don't trust it for protection.