Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Question Devils Backbone, Entiat area, Washington State

Has anyone ever ridden this area? I'm thinking about taking my kid there for a week in July and am trying to find some beta on it... fun loops, trails to avoid or to take in only one certain direction, etc.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/ma...chelan-map.pdf
We're hoping to go there July 12-17 and of course would enjoy meeting and riding with whoever can show up. Probably will camp along hwy 51 near Lake Cr campground or hopefully find a remote spot that doesn't cost.
Thanks,

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

This is an awesome place to ride, I can't give you details on what I've ridden since they were closed trails at the time and brutally difficult.
The area as a whole is really fun single track with amazing views.
Make sure you check the trail reports before coming out.
July should be good, but you never know. We've had record snowfalls this year and that means downed trees and delayed trail maintenance.
July can be a dusty month as well, be prepared for pre-filters. Some of the trails near the campgrounds can have a fine flour like dust that can play havoc with your engine.

2008 KTM 530

Former Fantasies:
2007 KTM 525
2004 Honda CR250R
2011 Gas-Gas EC 300
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
2004 KDX 200
2000 KDX 220
2003 Gas-Gas EC 250
2004 Honda CRF 250X
2005 Honda CRF 250X

What can I say, I'm schizophrenic and ambidextrous!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Rode there with Lyle Duranso about fifteen years ago before fire ravaged the lake Chelan area, was awesome .
Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Fun, challenging, hot and dusty and breathtaking beauty you are in store for, not to mention some side hill scares if your not into heights.
Our club usually has an outing up there in early October and it is stunning, fall color, damp soil and cool temps, even dusting of snow in spots sometimes.

We also ride the mad river side just west of there.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM

I could live without the sidehills with steep drop-offs

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Especially if your kid isn't an expert rider, many of the higher trails can be pretty scary... Lots of the hills have been "paved" with bricks and you don't want to fall off the brick road. Closer to Lake Wenatchee there's the Chiawawa (sp?) trail. It's much milder. Some of the lower Mad River trails were easier too if I remember.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Especially if your kid isn't an expert rider, many of the higher trails can be pretty scary... Lots of the hills have been "paved" with bricks and you don't want to fall off the brick road. Closer to Lake Wenatchee there's the Chiawawa (sp?) trail. It's much milder. Some of the lower Mad River trails were easier too if I remember.
Maybe we'll try the Chiawawa trails next year if he is still around (college, girls, etc) That area definately knocked me down a notch on what I thought my ability was. I was really wanting my trials bike back! We put in some long days on some crazy/scary stuff. We only turned aound once. Don't know why because I can't imagine the trail could have gotten any harder. I think at those elevations lack of oxygen combines with vertigo

We did about 1/2 of the devils backbone on the last day. After scaring ourselves the day before we actually hiked a good portion of it to see what to expect. This is an area that it would really benefit to have someone to show you around but we couldn't find anyone from our area.

The lower Mad River was a nightmare. There are signs posting that it is no longer being maintained and we drug bikes over logs, under logs, rode over mudslides and across hillslides where the trail almost disappeared and no room to push the bike (for wusses like me!) And that with the river rushing directly below.

I think I'm going to take a couple weeks off and play with the boat for a while

I have a couple good pictures I'l post later.

'00 XC250 (mine)
'04 EC250 (the kids)