Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Congrats on the new Bike! I went from a 2001 KDX 220 To a 2004 EC 300.Now I'm on a 2006 EC 300. Huge difference from the Kawi to the Gaser, your confidence and abilitys will increase over night. You wont be disapointed!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
I was told by the dealer that Gas gas can not suppply anymore as yamaha own ohlins and yamaha is putting the screws on motorcycle companies that are hurting sales.
Yamaha has technically 'owned' them for a long time, but has always allowed them to run independently. Ohlins is strong from a business standpoint on both OEM and aftermarket sales. I highly doubt Yamaha would want to stop any of this cash flow.

From the Ohlins website:
Since 1987, Öhlins Racing has been majority-owned by the Yamaha Motor Company, though it continues to operate as a dynamic, independent company within the business group. Over 90% of the company's turnover is accounted for by the export market, equally divided between original manufacturers and aftermarket sales. Included among Öhlins biggest OEM customers are Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia and Gas Gas.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 AM

Default with thanks

I had the money down thru the dealer for a ohlins, and i would have waited as long 8 weeks for it but the distributor and the dealer told me there is no more ohlins period, I am disapointed as my son has a ohlins on his gas gas, and on the same trial its so far infront its not funny. I did email Gas Gas direct but no reply at all. - at this stage i felt like i have bought half a bike and need to spend money on fixing a new bike. Only sales will tell if this has hurt them.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 AM

What spring did you get and is it correct for your weight?

I'll say it again, its the valving, not the brand of shock. Since the shocks are different, you can't spec the same valving shim for shim between them. What you can do is break it in, and have it valved for your weight/terrain by a competent tuner like Les at LTR. Believe me, I've had every bike I've owned revalved, including my two GGs and Cannondale 440 with Ohlins shocks. Some are closer than others but none were perfect off the floor. My brother has two Huskys with revalved Sachs and they are excellent performers. Stock they were brutal stiff but I'm sure somewhere there was a big guy who probably loved the stock valving. Put that $300 saved to good use and don't think you got screwed because you didn't. Call Les he'd be happy to talk to you and set you up, good luck.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 AM

Hi!

The problem is the 07 hard seat (after 20hrs on the bike I get used to it) and not the Sachs. I have the ec250 with the Sachs and (my own) Ohlins in front. The suspension and balance is perfect. It just needed sag adjustment after break in. If you want to improve something, spend these 200$ to revalve the soft from the factory OEM Marzocchi fork.

Leon
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Glenn is right..it aint the brand of shock its the valving setup..find a good suspension tuner..tell em what kind of riding you do..they can get it right..my ohlins on my 06 300( it was Orial Menas bike he rode in last years world enduro championship)it was a factory race bike..but my skills and his were very different..and it was stiff feeling..i tried all the settings etc..i then had a pro revalve it ..and WOW what a difference ...it is much smoother..no deflection..a pure joy to ride....so it just goes to show the bike has to be set up for you...THANKS Ricky Peters
Old 02-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
\By the way the trials line is supposed to be replacing the Sachs shock with the ohlins for 2007 I read this in trials competition Dec. 2006 issue.
Actually the trials models came with Ohlins on the standard 2006 models (and previous Raga Replica models).

For the EC line, the Ohlins is still available however is now an option, just as the forks have always been. Sachs is now the standard shock, with Shiver forks. I haven't ridden an '07 yet so can't comment on the new shock, but I know the Shiver forks are very nice. I have Ohlins at both ends on mine for the record, but wouldn't hesitate to have those new Shivers.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Actually the trials models came with Ohlins on the standard 2006 models (and previous Raga Replica models).

For the EC line, the Ohlins is still available however is now an option, just as the forks have always been. Sachs is now the standard shock, with Shiver forks. I haven't ridden an '07 yet so can't comment on the new shock, but I know the Shiver forks are very nice. I have Ohlins at both ends on mine for the record, but wouldn't hesitate to have those new Shivers.
A perfect example of why I'm usually skeptical about what I read about exotic bikes early on. Weather they are trials bikes, Enduro or MX, it seems If it isn't a mainstream brand some info is always wrong.

I have not even seen a 07 in person, last I heard our main shop over here in Washington, about 100 miles away from my place doesn't have any 07's on the showroom. I'm not sure if this is due to the new distributer or not. I plan on talking with the shops owner soon.
As far as the Ohlins option that is what I had read also, and I am glad it is an option for the Ohlins suspension, front or rear for 07. Its just nice to have that option!
I personally didn't opt for the Ohlins front fork on my 06 or my 04 as I felt that $600 was allot of money to replace the Marzocchi forks that are already so good. I put that $600 into setting up my standard suspension and had money left over. Les had mentioned to me in the past that Ohlins makes the Marzocchi fork tubes and Marzocchi puts their parts in them. In 08 if I decide to stay with Gas Gas and get a new 300, I will probably not opt for the Ohlins in front or rear either. It would be far more effective to put that $900 into the bikes set up and the rest in my pocket. Unless over the course of this season I hear about problems with the Sachs. Then I would option back to the old standard Ohlins shock for $300.Only time will tell.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 AM

Default More info re rear shock

I have been intouch with the importer here in Oz he reafirmed that spain isnt making the trail range with Ohlins - if anyone can prove him wrong let me know and ill rip him a new one. I have sent the shock to be revalved, after discussions with Pual Berick ( MPE ) he informed me that a Husky dealer sends all his shocks (Sachs) to be revaled to the rider before they take delivery- Thats what i call service. In the mean time i thought i would check the grease on the linkages, What i found is annoying to say the least ( I have Photos ) I found a huge amount of bead under the left frame cover with a lot of rust in around the swing arm axle Nut, and the linkage would not move freely, I found No grease on the orings!! But plenty of grease in the bearings. This had the affect of binding up the linkage, I Greased up the orings and it is now like silk. I took the precausion of adding a large Fibre Washer to take up some play- I see in other threads people using more orings. Check your bike using a feeler guage, the gap on mine was .88 and the fibre is .84. Cant wait for the shock.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Maybe the Australian importer is not brining in Ohlins shocks, but in North America it is an option.