Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-25-2007, 03:50 AM

Unhappy Ride report 07 sachs

Bikes
ec300 sachs rear
ec 300 Ohlins rear
ec200 Ohlins rear
2 x KTM 525 06
DR350 - that just wont die

we all went for a decent trail ride on sat, But i thought before that ill try out the revalving on the rear shock Hmm much better But still really Hard We checked the race sag from the 5.2 Kg spring - im 85kg with out riding gear - 89 mm Max, 11mm spring compression which in my book meens its to hard for me, But ill ride it and see if it frees up.

Hmm didnt free up riding over small jumps, lets go for a ride anyway Shane and i swapped bikes ( ec300 ohlins ) wow i could not belive it how good the ride was, shane stopped beside me and said i thought you were just bitchin obout the rear end now i beleive you I want My bike Back! - Shane weighs about 90kg so ithought he would be ok on it.

As a side note i Checked the entire linkage system before reassembly and Found NO grease on the O rings But found Plenty of grease in the bearings this had the affect of limiting the action on the linkage it would hang in mid air . I placed a feeler guage between the washer and the linkage and found min .88 mm clearance - I fitted a .84 fibre washer which was nearly the same size as the steel washer.

You can find out what happend to the gearbox in the 2 stroke engine section.

Not Happy JAN

Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Site Sponsor

all the bikes come with marzocchi forks and either a sachs rear or ohlins rear. the price is about 300 bucks and shocks are about the same its the setup that makes or breaks the shocks, having them setup for the rider is a must and will make them perform to your needs.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM

I contacted Gas Gas Spain and it looks like the importer is correct.
From February 2007 the Ohlin option has stoped. Gas Gas sent out bikes with
Ohlins rear as they did not have the Sachs in the 1st lot of bike made.

After riding the 07 bikes why bother with the Ohlin all I can see is that the
07 bikes have a firmer seat the rear shock was fine and as far as the O-rings
binding I dont think so.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Site Sponsor

my rep has prices for the sach and ohlins model and I can still get the ohlins shocked bike as of last week I have not heared any different

2003 Atk 450 Xc Quad
Ported,Stroked, and ready for action, Ohlins suspenders, protected by Prm, TTM, Hiper Technology, Cycra, Streamline, Kenda Usa, Regina Chains, Amsoil, Motortabs, Rb Components, Pro Taper, Ac racing, Dirt works Motorsports.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM

If your distributor still have Ohlins bikes in stock they will be able to supply
but Gas Gas in Spain has no more other than the R model and a lot of the
07 bikes that did get sent out with the Ohlins did not have the High and Low speed adjustment like the 06 bikes not all of them but most of them did not have it.It is like the 1st sipment of FSR450 that got sent down under they all had Ohlins because the Sachs was not ready and this could of been the case in the U.S
I did not get this from a sales person I got this from Gas Gas Spain they should know.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 AM

I've seen the '07 Ohlins. Its not the same as the previous Ohlins, appears to be different. Aluminum body, no HS adjuster, rebound clicker screw not thumbwheel.

Get the Sachs, your not missing anything.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Found NO grease on the O rings But found Plenty of grease in the bearings this had the affect of limiting the action on the linkage it would hang in mid air .
Other than using a bit of grease to help installation of Orings, it is not required and can cause more issues like attracting dirt. Then, you have a grinding compound working against your seals. Also, I highly doubt your dry Orings created that much friction to prevent rear wheel travel. Perhaps a shim was clamped to the face of the bearing journal rather than around its outside diameter. This would cause binding.

As far as bearings goes, congrats to GG or your dealer for properly greasing the bearings. Typically, they treat the grease in bearings like gold and there is very little. Looks like you were setup good.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Talking The New Sachs Is Better Than The "new" Ohlins Anyway

The Ohlins Rear Shock That Comes On The 07 Models Is Junk Compared To The Previos Models & The Sachs Unit. It Now Has An Aluminum Shock Body, The Compression Adjuster Has No Clicker In It, And The Rebound Adjuster Is Just A Screw Now, Not The Big Knob Like They Used To Have. So Be Thankful You Go The Sachs. 42 George
Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 AM

Smile still cant get the sachs right

I met a bloke on a 07 300ec on the weekend with the same sachs shock with the same problems as me, to hard, nice to know its just not me, and yes i found out the ohlins that did make it onto the 07 models were not the same as 06.

I did 120klms on sat then 60 klms on sunday and still cant get it right, but i did find if i never sat down and avoided "every" bump it wasnt to bad.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM

Could the problem your having be caused by the spring being too stiff? I am running a 5.0 on the back of my 06 DE300 for my 180 pounds. The bike came with a 5.4. I ride A class. We also have a 5.0 on the back of my sons 06 DE250. he weighs 170 pounds and races AA. Both bikes have the ohlins shock. Dave