Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:41 AM

Thanks - I'll locate the drain plug and remove it. However, I cannot find it in the parts diagram...

The PV lever was easy to disengage just by gently prying it. Possibly the 'bolt' is just so worn out (2009, EC300).

Could the cylinder be warped? I have had repetitive problems with the engine mounting bolts becoming loose. The last thing before this problem occurred was to overtighten all the bolts with hard-lock paste.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:49 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Check the threads on engine bolts. My bottom one was worn so bad the threads were not a very good fit. It is 120mm 10mm bolt from memory. Wrecker found me a replacement from his bucket of random engine bolts. .
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 06-20-2020, 03:56 AM

The crankcase was full of coolant up to the cylinder gasket level. Drained it.

Any pointers how to remove the bolt/nut combo from the PV lever? It does not fit through the opening, and hence I cannot remove the cylinder.

Behind the lever, there is a thin round washer stuck on the bolt. Cannot undo it as it rotates with the bolt. Cannot pry it off, either. And the combo is not shown in any parts diagram images...

EDIT: Behind the lever, there is a flange and not a washer. Even with heating up the locking nut, it would not come off as there was no chance to counterhold the threaded part from rotating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powervalve.jpg (121.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Mikeyx; 06-21-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Rectifying false statement
Old 06-20-2020, 09:34 AM

And here's how the tiny part looks like. I wonder where I can get a new one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powervalve2.jpg (93.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So that's the triangle plate I talked of. Get someone to weld it back on to the plate and grind excess.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 06-21-2020, 01:27 AM

Let's take a look at the pic.

The small notch in the left goes into a 3 mm hole in the triangle plate. The unthreaded section (between the flange and thread) goes inside the loop in the lever. There is also a washer between the loop and retaining nut - these are visible in the earlier pic.

So if we look at the earlier photo, the parts go in the following order: locking nut/washer/lever loop/flange/triangle plate

Last edited by Mikeyx; 06-21-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well well well. Not good news for the bottom end bearings that have been soaking in coolant.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Well well well. Not good news for the bottom end bearings that have been soaking in coolant.
If the crank case was full up to the cylinder sealing surface it is not a problem. As long as the bearings were submerged no air was there. No air, no corrosion.

Now that the crank case has been drained it is time to worry. I'd say to fill the crank case with a light oil would help, right?
Old 06-21-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
If the crank case was full up to the cylinder sealing surface it is not a problem. As long as the bearings were submerged no air was there. No air, no corrosion.

Now that the crank case has been drained it is time to worry. I'd say to fill the crank case with a light oil would help, right?
I would flush with diesel fuel and then atf.

There is water in the coolant, and water contains oxygen, so that is all that is needed for corrosion of ferrous metals..

If you notice any abnormal vibration or noise from the motor after buttoning it back up, I would split the cases and replace the main bearings.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:39 AM

I asked for an opinion from a local dirt bike service workshop (the owner is also a semi-pro rider). He said that there should not be an issue with the bearings.

I have flushed the crankcase with 2-stroke gasoline and then, having tightened the drain plug, poured some more gasoline in there.

I guess that there are no hygroskopic material used in the bearings (in an automotive auto transmission, the friction plates do absorb water and swell). Coolant is known to include anticorrosive agents. So I'll get new cylinder seals and try to get it up and running.

If there are issues then, I'll put the bike in pieces and sell the parts. Repair would just cost too much...the workshop quoted 5hrs for the job.