Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 AM

I think you will find a lot of resistance comes from the oil when you re-oil the clutch but this can still be made worse with slightly warped clutch plates etc.

With my old clutch I could see the plates were warped by putting them on a mirror and looking at them.

As an experiment maybe try a thin oil - I don't know what the thinnest oil is we can safely run in these bikes though? I don't think anything will fail catastrophically but probably accelerate wear. I guess ATF fluid is pretty thin (a lot thinner than standard oil) (can't remember if you have tried that already) if not maybe try a thin ATF fluid.

Is it a dead engine racing start you are having trouble with or trail riding?

On a note the make up of the clutch means if some plates and steels are stuck together with oil and you pull the clutch there is nothing to pull all of the plates apart i.e. only one pf the plates/steels needs to seperate and the reast can stay stuck together and provide quite a bit of resistance when you kick it.. ideally a multi plate clutch shoudl have little springs between each friction and steel so when you pull the clutch they are all pulled apart evenly and none will remain stuck together so they can't drag... I wonder if the order you are putting your steels/plates in is having an effect?

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 AM

Found this... I'm keen to try some dextron 3 and see how that performs.

ATF Viscosity Characteristics
Product SAE Viscosity
Dexron II & Type F 5W-20
Dexron III, Mercon V & ATF Plus 4 0W-20
Caterpillar Powershift 10W, 30 & 50

Different transmissions have different shifting characteristics, from smooth to aggressive, and call for different fluids. It is important to match transmission fluid with the requirements specified by the transmission manufacturer.

ATF Frictional Characteristics
Product Fluid Characteristic
Chrysler ATF Plus 4
(AMSOIL ATF) Moderately Slippery
Dexron II & III, Mercon V
AMSOIL ATF) ) Slippery
Ford Type F, TO-4
(AMSOIL CT Series & ART) ) Grabby
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Oh sorry I forgot I hadn't replied to this, got busy at work, you know how it is.

OK so I couldn't find any MTX so I tried Silkolene as they claim it is light oil & helps combat drag.

I wouldn't use ATF, have seen a gearbox pretty worn after using ATF on roadrace bike. Bikes probably have skinny gears & hard shocks even though less power than Auto g.boxes.

The weather was windy & cold so I took a pussy pill & stayed in bed, it doesn't really snow here but the wind was bitter, at least it sounded that way from my nice warm bed.

However I did start the bike & ride it up the steep drive a bit & slip the clutch at the top to give it a bit of a bed in. I then rode back down & started the bike several times in gear with the clutch in wearing running shoes.

I'm pretty sure it was sharp edged plates snagging on sharp dimples on the inner basket.

Thank you thank you, you may feel that it is necessary to recommend me for a Nobel prize, - but anyone can get one of those these days so instead nominate for Pulitzer for this thread.

ok maybe after a good test I'll know for sure. Sadly that may be a few weeks away.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't use ATF, have seen a gearbox pretty worn after using ATF on roadrace bike. Bikes probably have skinny gears & hard shocks even though less power than Auto g.boxes.
FWIW ATF works great in 2 stroke trannies. Never seen or heard of a failure from a lubrication standpoint. Easy shifting and little or no clutch drag. The stuff is cheap $$ as well so change it as often as you like. Use Ford F type by the way.

Skidad
Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM

I agree Skidad.
If ATF can handle the stresses that an automatic tranny in a car or truck puts on it, it can definatly handle the stresses a that a 2 stroke tranny puts on it. JMHO. My mechanic swears by it in his bikes, but I prefer the feel of Rotella synthetic in my bikes....... and truck and car.......
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm curious about the Rotella synthetic. I'll give it a try and see.

Skidad
Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 PM

I use rotella T Synthetic in my atk, my husky and my gasgas, Mine and my buddies dr 650, and my buddies klx 300. Check out some of the forums, its amazing how many guys use it.

Rotella T synthetic sae 5-40 weight @ wallyworld for 16.00 a gallon.

Its diesel oil, so it does not have to worry about catalytic converter harming additives like zinc. Cheap enough to change often, so shearing should not be an issue. Diesel rigs regularly get 1,000,000 miles between engines using this and their equivalents.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 PM

oh gosh please let's not turn this into a oil thread, there's more than enough on the internerd.

The important part is that the clutch did seem to catch sometimes with no oil. I think removing the sharp edges did the trick.

I do like how the pressure plate slides on the inside of the basket rather than the outside, wish my RZ was like that, makes the clutch thin while still having more plates.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 PM

I did a search and found this thread.

My 05 EC250 has been getting increasingly grabby over the last few months. First it was noticeable drag when starting in gear. Then it deteriorated to the point where with the bike in gear, motor off, clutch in, I felt the drag when pushing it. Yesterday the bike was idling, I pulled in the clutch and kicked it into 1st and it stalled.

I'm using Rotella Synth.

I had a similar problem with my KDX. A little file work made some improvements.

Time to take it apart and look things over. I need to bleed the three hydraulics anyway.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Hope it helps, I'd like to say at this point that I've had several rides on it & it is now right as rain.

. . . Although the truth it the 'rain' part has been more predominant & I've had a couple of rides cancelled, so, . . . er, I actually haven't ridden the bike in anger yet. But Spring has Sprung here in New Zealand & next ride is in 2 weeks. Hope I remember how.