Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go sit on the front porch with my prune juice and yell at all those punk's that wear their hats on backwards.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

It must add significant weight to that side of the bike....perhaps they should have bolted the battery on the other side of the engine to even it up!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
I think its wise of gasgas to designe a simple add on starter to bolt on or off the existing engine, rather than spending time and money on a re-designe of the exellent existing engine, in order to placate the few old women who are to lazy or have only the leg strenth of a enemic twelve year old girl.I've heard absolutely no compelling reason that two strokes need an electric start especially givin that 99% of the guys demanding one still think mullets are "in" and are about as fast and capable as a hundred year old tortoise.Want your bike to start first kick?, jet it properly! Still having problems? maybee lawn bowling instead.Why do I care about this? ,because its the same mindset that brough us $ 50 k pickup trucks that you cant fix yourself, if breakes down and you cant afford to fix it, thats ok too, just borrow against your home equity for a new one. Oogh , does it come in dusty rose?
I completely disagree with you about the e-start 2 stroke and don't knock something until you try it. I can think of soooooo many times when I could have used and loved to have had it. Maybe it's not for you but what you imply for those who want it are a bit over the top IMO Now....$50,000 dollar pickups are a whole nother matter in general. Who would have ever thought a pickup could get to that price level...nuts.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't need e-start, but if it would better position Gas Gas in the market, then all the better. Personally though, if it fails as frequently as the KTM two stroke e-start, forget it.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Looks like the blowout preventer stack on BPs well...

I hate to say it and rain on the parade but I expected something totally different. It looks like it may even hinder spartplug access. I wonder if its a major compromise on their part to get past the KTM patent. There are times when an estart would be great like when riding with my kids. If it really became a big enough problem, of if I did a lot of course work, I'd juat get a used WRF250F as a mule before I'd have that thing hanging off the bike.

Sure its a first effort, and if 2-strokes survive perhaps they will have a cleaner solution. I can see something like the old '04 and prior connterbalancer cases, with the motor inside, driving a sprag on the primary side.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go sit on the front porch with my prune juice and yell at all those punk's that wear their hats on backwards.
or half of their underwear showng......

back on estarts, i have to admit i am playing with one right now..WR450 yamaha, 2006.. it is heavy, but the cool thing about it is when you are stuck in a bad place, or just "happen'" to stall on a trail.. I seriously can fire it back up and most guys would never even know.. never put a foot down..it is that easy...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

And you could use that ring gear as a reluctor for a new federally mandated dirtbike anti lock brake system, got to keep that technology moving ahead boys. Skidad, post us up a picture of your legs will ya?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 AM

No question I would never own a 4-stroke without one, but they do not restart easy. I DO see the advantages if you stall on a steep hill and have been there, but its not a regular enough occurance or important enough for me to have that thing bolted to the bike. JMO, lets see how it works and lasts and then pass final judgement.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Site Sponsor

i really don't mind kicking and i can see the 'stuck half way up a hillside estart advantage.' i don't know if electric start would make for faster starts - i doubt it. i do know that weight (15-20lbs with battery is my guess) is a huge issue for me. i think my 200 is too heavy as it is. adding more weight up high is the last thing i want..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

I think 10 lbs is more realistic.