Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM

The big improvement is forward thrust in mud and loose rock.

Braking is a bit better.

It doesn't load up with mud as bad. The key too clearing mud out of a trials tire is to run low pressure. This way the tire flexes and opens up after contact with the ground.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.
I wouldnt cut a comp tire, but I may try a MT43 they are a lot stronger
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM

It might be worth trying a Vee Rubber. They are a lot like the michelin in carcuss and knob feel.

Some more cost conscience people use them in trials and flat trackers prefer them over Pirelli.

Vee Rubber are also now making a 19" for MX'ers wanting to do flat track.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 PM

If you're looking for a cross between a knobby and a trials instead of cutting knobs why not try one of these? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Some are saying that this tire with the Tubliss is a good combo.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Trials tires are used for the radial design that allows a lot of flex and large contact patch, and the sticky compound. Without this, there is no point in going with a close spaced tire like that shown, at least for technical riding.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
If you're looking for a cross between a knobby and a trials instead of cutting knobs why not try one of these? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

they do not flex like an mt43
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post

I have used that tire on my 640 DS bike. They work good on heavier bikes that see plenty of street use. They work OK in the dirt, wear like iron and are cheap. But they are no comparison to a trials tire or real knobby that's used on an off road bike.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
they do not flex like an mt43
I run the Kenda K270 on my TE510. I love that tire! Although it may not flex exactly like a trials tire. I'll tell if you rim locks are snug and you run very low psi (6-8psi). It a great tire and they DO flex quite nicely.

They wear well and are dirt cheap (around $60). But I'm not 100% convinced on running one on my 300 yet. Like stated above I have a Mitas trials I want to try first.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm too happy with my MT43 to switch but I thought the Kenda 270 might work better in the slick mud and brake sliding with Tubliss and about 4psi.