Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroggen View Post
The flywheel weight effect is multiplied by the radius of the gear. The 8 oz is very narrow negating much of the fw effect. I did some figuring when I looked into producing fww by the hundreds. You could either add weight or add a few mm to radius and gain the same effect. Do you know what the ring gear weighs?
No, I don't. If I get a chance, I'll pull off the cover and get some measurements for you. I understand the (rough) concept of inertia, but if you could quantify it with regard to the starer gear, that would be cool.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Here's a thread that I contributed to regarding weights. Scroll down a bit to see what I was pulling out of the air. I since have replaced my 2002 with a 2011, and thereby moved from a 2K2 to a 2K3 with e start, so I don't know if I should play with weights or not.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...+weight&page=3
Old 03-26-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
It should fit any and all GasGas 250/300 from 2001 on. Any ignition. The only reason it doesn't fit the 200 is they have a different threaded crank.
thanks !
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Default 23 ounce flywheel weights

Well, according to some quick, and I mean quick calculations. If the starter gear weighs 4 oz then the centrifugal inertia would be slightly less than the 8 oz if the starter weight is 150% the size/radius of the 2t weight. Clearly the s3 would have 23oz/4oz x the inertia as the starter gear. So roughly 5.75 times the inertia. Now, for a true change I would have to measure a crankshaft weight, and use that before/after the weight. To see the true numbers. IMHO I like a seat measurement. When I sit on the bike and turn the throttle, I notice a small difference with the 8oz weight, thus an estart also seems different from a standard, but the 23oz weight makes what I feel is the best effect on the bike.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM

I will also mention, some companies sell you what you think you want, others sell you what you actually want and still others only sell you what you need.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will also mention, some companies sell you what you think you want, others sell you what you actually want and still others only sell you what you need.
My problem is separating want from need....
Curious how this would do on my 300 out west here?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Default 23 ounce flywheel weights

I think it would depend on how your riding style is, I have not found anything fast or slow where I wished I didn't have the weight. I can tell the difference on the supercross track and it's not particularly a good experience. But then again my supercross experiences have never been good
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think it would depend on how your riding style is, I have not found anything fast or slow where I wished I didn't have the weight. I can tell the difference on the supercross track and it's not particularly a good experience. But then again my supercross experiences have never been good
Can you be more specific about how the weight effects the power characteristics of the engine from stock weights.I understand the smooth factor I thiink.Anti stall device is also a good characteristic of added flywheel weight.Lower rpm traction control,short shiftabilty all standard stuff with this mod.But are you saying that you have had no noticible effects in throttle response from the mid to higher rpms.And that the bike will rev just as quickly and will shut down just as quickly.That all the way on,chop it and right back on thing and all the other fun stuff in between the midrange and the warp overdrive feature;remains the same?

The 300 has a lot of flywheel effect stock and although 23 ounces sounds like a lot,it really isn't and just makes an already great motor that much better?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
Can you be more specific about how the weight effects the power characteristics of the engine from stock weights.I understand the smooth factor I thiink.Anti stall device is also a good characteristic of added flywheel weight.Lower rpm traction control,short shiftabilty all standard stuff with this mod.But are you saying that you have had no noticible effects in throttle response from the mid to higher rpms.And that the bike will rev just as quickly and will shut down just as quickly.That all the way on,chop it and right back on thing and all the other fun stuff in between the midrange and the warp overdrive feature;remains the same?

The 300 has a lot of flywheel effect stock and although 23 ounces sounds like a lot,it really isn't and just makes an already great motor that much better?

Well said,in short yes. I think people think you strap that flywheel on and it's like a tractor takes time to spool up and back down. No the difference to full rpm is probably less than .1 sec. As far as if you are going full throttle and go to no throttle, the bike does not turn into a train and run you into things, it decelerates. I don't know that I have ever wanted it to decelerate/decrease rpms faster or felt that it was unstoppable. I think that is a feeling some may be worried about.

For a guy like Ferderer, nah I don't know that the weight would help him. It affects low rpm more than mid to upper. His style is clearly wring that bike tight. But for the rest of us mortals, the people who cannot ride wide open all the time, we can use the mod to smoothen out the power delivery to increase traction and increase the time it takes to get tired/ arm pump.

Think of it this way, if after every corner of a 2 hour hare scramble, 3,000 corners maybe, when you come out of each corner instead of concentrating on not slipping the rear tire, I am now able to go nearly full throttle (read more room for error) and it doesn't rip my arms off. IMHO that is the key to any enduro/hare scramble rider.

I get the desire to ride a fire berating dragon, they are fun and feel like your really going fast, honestly looking back when I started 5 years ago, every corner I roosted and dropped the clutch every chance I got. Was it fun, yeah! And was terrible slow but man did I feel fast, and actually for a while I wanted more motor! Ha what a mistake, few can ride a 300 wrung out.

Now I concentrate on making the 300 a smooth electric delivery that still smells like premix! Perfect power plant for smoothing.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned

And the 200 on perfect traction days?

Nothin wrong with a little chug.
But!