Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Default Another computer problem... choppy video

Anyone got any idea why my 'puter will not play many of the videos linked here and elsewhere smoothly?

Some run just fine, but I'd say at least 50% of the YouTube and ALL of the Vimeo vids are unwatch-able due to herky jerky video.

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I pause it and let it buffer.

Could my trusty old Mac Powerbook G4 be getting long in the tooth? What would be the pertinent specs one would check for vid performance?

'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website

Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Problem: MAC. na you just have an old computer, and alot of newer videos are run in hi def, and you computer is just to slow to keep up. if it was a pc desktop you could buy a different video card and run the new drivers, but its a mac, and a laptop, making it almost impossible to dig into and impossible to put after market video cards and RAM into. if you want something that you can continuously modify, buy a pc. if you're a die hard mac fan, its time to upgrade. at least that is the most likely cause. vimeo runs there videos on hi def, and if yous is not a fairly new computer, your cpu and video card will not be able to keep up, hence the choppyness.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
Anyone got any idea why my 'puter will not play many of the videos linked here and elsewhere smoothly?

Some run just fine, but I'd say at least 50% of the YouTube and ALL of the Vimeo vids are unwatch-able due to herky jerky video.

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I pause it and let it buffer.

Could my trusty old Mac Powerbook G4 be getting long in the tooth? What would be the pertinent specs one would check for vid performance?
My Powerbook G4 started to do that after 4 years. I wiped the entire harddrive using the disk utility, maxed out the RAM at 1.125 GB, and did a fresh re-install of OSX 10.4 or whatever the last one was for powerPC chipped Mac's. It's much better now, but it's still a 4.5 year old laptop, so you have to have realistic expectations. Mine runs all internet video fine now.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.