Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Problem with Scotts tower and bar risers

Folks,

In an effort to "force myself to stand", I want to raise my bars. I was going to experiment and make some simple aluminum spacers (1/2", 1", 3/2") and place them between the upper triple clamp and the lower bar mounts. Obvioulsy, longer bolts will be required.

But a problem I foresee is making my Scott damper work. I'm currently using a Fastway upper bar clamp with an integrated mount for my Scotts damper. And the Scotts tower is mounted to the frame at the steering head.

If I raise the bars and damper within my range, I don't have enough length in my tower rod to go the extra length. My Scotts arm does have a jog/kink in it to lower it slightly, and I have the "long" 65mm tower post, but there's no way I can make it work if I were to go the full 3/2" up.

Could I have machined a longer tower rod? Or will the damper not work well with that much length between it and the tower mount point (i.e., too much flex)?

I guess I could experiment with my current bar and risers and no damper, and then find a tall bar once I found a setup that I like (and keep the damper low).

Your thought on the matter are appreciated.

Thanks.

Dale

Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 AM

The tower flexes too much as is. Adding length will make it worse. If you want tall bars the answer is a sub mount with stock bars, it will add about an inch. You can cut your tower shorter, don't need a new one. I'd try it with no damper first. I'd like to go sub mount but I just don't like the feel of tall bars in the tight stuff. Had Pastrana bars and couldn't get used to them.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have an extra tall tower that I am not using.

Here is a photo of the tower.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Get a BRP SUB mount. These things are awesome for rider who like tall bars. I run the BRP SUB mount with Woods High bars and love it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Site Sponsor

I run a Protect enduro sub mount with a BRP tower that had to be trimmed down.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Thats an ideal dimension for a tower, very short and minimum flex.

Steve,

I have a BRP clamp and would get a BRP sub mount. Right now I have 25mm bar riser mounts. Exactly how much higher is the sub mount? I heard about an inch but not any hard numbers. My other issue is T-clamp mounted handguards. Moving the bars up then creates a problem with these. What would be cool would be bar riser mounts with integrated handguard mounts, something like the Fastway system.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Site Sponsor

I use Bike Bonz for my hand guards.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2w View Post
Folks,

In an effort to "force myself to stand", I want to raise my bars.
Try taking the seat off, it's how those trials boys learn to stand

How tall are you? I wouldn't artifically raise them beyond what they should be for your height or it makes it hard to get a good attacking cornering posture. I'm tall and found lowering the footpegs a little & raising the seat helps a lot as it makes it easier to move up and down off the seat so you stand more often. But the lower the bars are the more control I have in the turns as it helps get my weight forward. I also find having the bars too high reduces your options when on a steep climb - you can't hang over the front wheel to hold it down. I've tried low and high and can never make my mind up which I prefer!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Ian, i just ordered a set of Renthal fat bars, with the RC high bend (seems to be the highest they make). Having mucked about with an after market top triple clamp on my KTM and had spacers made etc etc, i could not be arsed doing to the Gasser. I am just leaving the Scotts down low and bunging on a set of raised up chopper bars!