Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Clutch lever feels notchy only when engine is running

My 2000 XC300 clutch lever feels notchy when pulling in the lever while the engine is running. I lubed the lever and it did not help. It fleels butter smooth when the engine is off. It has the original clutch and it works great other than the lever feel recently. It never makes noises or acts oddly. I pulled it apart and there was minor wear on the basket that cleaned up with a few strokes of a flat file. I had a newer hub so I swapped that in as the original had a little wear from the teeth of the steels. Amazingly the fibers and steels were all still within specs. I did not check the push rod but wish I did to make sure it was not bent and touching the gear shaft inner bore.

I have not ridden it since I cleaned up the basket, because we just got more snow in Chicago and it is flipping cold here!!!!!

Has anyone else experience this issue before?

Last edited by Zman; 02-16-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM

My money is on the basket. My Honda 450 X got like that all the time

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 PM

The clutch lever on my bike was binding at about half way and what I found out was that when I adjusted the lever to suit standing with the pro taper bars, it was catching on the handlebar light switch mechanism. Luckily a simple fix.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 AM

Good point but in my case the lever is free to move without interference.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:13 PM

I think that the basket clean up and different hub took care of it.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
My 2000 XC300 clutch lever feels notchy when pulling in the lever while the engine is running. I lubed the lever and it did not help. It fleels butter smooth when the engine is off. It has the original clutch and it works great other than the lever feel recently. It never makes noises or acts oddly. I pulled it apart and there was minor wear on the basket that cleaned up with a few strokes of a flat file. I had a newer hub so I swapped that in as the original had a little wear from the teeth of the steels. Amazingly the fibers and steels were all still within specs. I did not check the push rod but wish I did to make sure it was not bent and touching the gear shaft inner bore.

I have not ridden it since I cleaned up the basket, because we just got more snow in Chicago and it is flipping cold here!!!!!

Has anyone else experience this issue before?
Your clutch basket is chucking ! Filing is a band
aid !