Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Need help learning to stand up!!

The sitting down part i got figured out!! It's the standing part thats got me miffed. I ride in New Hampshire which means a lot of roots and rocks. When it's wet then its slipppery roots and rocks. Most trails are on the tight side too. In the wide open standing isn't such a big deal. It's in the tight stuff where i run into problems. The two biggest problems are shifting while standing and trusting the front wheel not to wash out. I've followed riders who stand through sections that have me sitting so i know it can be done.

As far as shifting goes i have small feet. Size 8 so when standing on my arches my foot still doesn't reach the shifter. this means moving my foot off the peg to get up to the shifter. In rough sections that means riding on one foot which seems to move too much weight around and throws you off balance. It is a bit unsettling. Right now the shifter is level with the foot peg. I'm going to move it up about an inch to see if that helps. I'm curious "foot techniques" the stand up guys use to shift.

The other issue that "whigs" me out is being up on the pegs head over the headlight and having the front end slide around like it wants to wash out. Remember, lots of big 2 foot round pine trees to kiss with your face if my front wheel lets go. This may be bike set up issues. if so the suspension is on its way back from les. But if not ... Whats up wit dat???
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM

I find it easier to ride standing in slow tight sections rather than sitting.
Maybe that is from riding a trials bike and steering with your feet. I have size 8 boots also and shifting is not a problem.
Take your seat off for a while, that may help!
Good Luck
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM

ouch! might help me get some nice monkey butt!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:37 PM

I've read that the pivot pegs and the power pegs help alot in the standing position. Both for shifting and rear braking. Personally I stand alot on everything but the harder technical stuff because (1) I have more control sitting and if I have to dab here and there I can. (2) If U lose control while standing, Your bike will hit the ground harder and so will U. At least me because I'm short.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM

It just takes practice. Start off going slow and standing for everything. Remember to keep your weight on your legs, not arms. your thighs are likely much stronger than your arms / shoulders. What many folks suffer from is learning to balance while crouched. If you are not balanced, you end up putting lots of weight on your arms when braking or going down hill, and using a death grip on the bars when accelerating. I stand alot while riding, much like trials riders, but I still force myself to practice, even after 35 yrs riding. I often practice locking the front wheel while standing up in mud (1st / end gear) just to make riding that way second nature and reminding myself how to balance and stay neutral. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM

I posted this similar thread over on another site and one member mentioned to weight the inside peg. I have been weighting the outside peg. Got to try it out today and i must say it worked killer. Buzzed right through a lot of stuff i would normally sit down through!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Riding standing up lowers the center of gravity of your bike. Well it have the same effect.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:11 AM

Skid,

Regarding the front end washout feeling while standing, it sounds like you're body postion is correct. You should be up over the headlight. I just had to keep standing until I felt comfortable with it. Sounds like practice and fresh, dialed in suspension from LTR will help you out.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Ill start off by saying my feet are kinda big, i have size 14 fox boots. I moved the shifter up a little to make shifting easier while sitting. But while standing, i either rock my foot back on the peg to up shift, or grip the bike with my legs and kind of lift my leg up to shift. Thats the way I usually do it, but im not a professional or anywhere near
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM

A technique that I have found very useful is to practice full lock turns. In order to do this, you will be using both rear and front brakes as well as the clutch and to a limited extent, the throttle.

This is great stuff for new riders as well as good practice for seasoned riders. Once you can get comfortable making slow controlled full lock turns (in both directions) while sitting or standing, your ready to make it harder. Do it on the side of a hill. Try it in mud, rocks, everywhere.

Once you have this skill down, you might be able to pull off the feet up slow speed 180-degree power slides while standing and be ready for the next obstacle. I practice this skill all the time and it helps me tremendously!