Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:20 AM

Default Is the twintube framed EC the lightest of all versions?

Just got my 2003 bike stolen and saw that as an opportunity to treat myself to a 2011 twin tube framed bike. Just grabbing it off the side and swaying it makes me feel like my 2003 bike must have had two bags of invisible sugar strapped to the bars. And I hear complaints that the model that follows is too heavy?

What did they do to make the 2011 so much lighter feeling than earlier bikes and is it lighter than the 2012? Did they drop the engine lower in the cradle, is the frame about 4kg lighter?

Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Just got my 2003 bike stolen and saw that as an opportunity to treat myself to a 2011 twin tube framed bike. Just grabbing it off the side and swaying it makes me feel like my 2003 bike must have had two bags of invisible sugar strapped to the bars. And I hear complaints that the model that follows is too heavy?

What did they do to make the 2011 so much lighter feeling than earlier bikes and is it lighter than the 2012? Did they drop the engine lower in the cradle, is the frame about 4kg lighter?
Lighter rims (I assume your 2003 bike had DID "U" rims) and kick stand on the latter bikes save about 4 pounds but the rims are much easier to dent. If you ride in rocks invest in "Tubliss" inserts for both front and rear -they do a great job of protecting your rims from dents.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Yes it had the did u rims and I am pleased to hear that there is saving in the rims but I do not think I would have noticed that swaying the bike side to side with the bars?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Yes it had the did u rims and I am pleased to hear that there is saving in the rims but I do not think I would have noticed that swaying the bike side to side with the bars?
Losing weight in the wheels is one of the most notable areas to improve handling actually. All that mass sitting there static isn't that big of a deal but once you start it spinning then the forces which resist changing are direction much stronger.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM

Yes but I am talking about swaying the bike when it is stationery. It feels much lighter.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Those DID U-rims are sturdy here in Arizona's rocks.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Yes but I am talking about swaying the bike when it is stationery. It feels much lighter.
Ah gotcha! With the weight down that low I doubt you'd notice it in that instance.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Ah gotcha! With the weight down that low I doubt you'd notice it in that instance.
The weight is also about 18 and 21 inches above the ground, not just at ground level, when discussing those heavy DID rims. The top of the wheel weighs as much as the bottom of the wheel.

I would posit that the twin tube is a bit lighter than the old square section frame, just by design. But it might just be a lower CoG with the new frame. Hard to say without doing some weights and angle testing (not me).