Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:29 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Time to Ride ?

Ok how do you make time to Ride ? I am self employed and am very busy in spring , so riding then is mostly on the trials bikes . In the summer I can get out some more , and in the fall is also a good time to get out . Winter I have found that is a good time to ride but it does get cold here , we will get to 30 degrees today . I plan to ride till I am 75 and put 2000 miles a year on my dirt bikes . That leaves 18 more years of trying to get out as much as I can . How much do get out , and how do you make the time to do it ?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
I plan to ride till I am 75 and put 2000 miles a year on my dirt bikes .
I'm sort of in the same camp, want to be able to throw a leg over and ride until I'm 75 or 80. One of my biggest goals is to enjoy the trails with my boys, who are 3 and 5 right now. At 43, I hope there's enough left in me to make it another 32 years and who knows...maybe I'll be the cool grandpa if they have little ones around

I try to get out once a month, twice if our schedule allows it. Obviously, takes some planning, but easily manageable given how awesome my wife is. Definitely helps that she rides too...lol.

It can be tough to get the balance; especially work/life, but after 18 years of working for a publicly traded company, I don't hesitate to take a day off if there's an opportunity to get out and ride or leave early for a camping weekend with my family
Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM

I'm 61 and try to ride once a week. I would ride more if I had someone to go with me. My friend BOBBY DAN is almost 74 and still going strong. He leads woods rides every weekend (except in the summer when he takes some weekends off to go sky diving). Bobby would also ride more but he still works full time.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Being from the UK, trouble is finding a place to ride, so much as having time to ride. The trails (greenlanes) in my county are as good as closed to motorcycles, so more or less restricted to enduro practice days and actual enduros. Would definitely ride a lot more if there was public access to the woods.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

All my work is during the week. So I typically ride every weekend (weather permitting), unless it is summer and light until 8pm, then I get some weekday rides in as well.

When I hear about others, I find I am very lucky because I live directly adjacent to the largest state forest in NJ and surrounding areas. I ride right out of my garage, hit almost endless miles of trails and be back home in 2-3 hours...geared up and then broken down in my garage in 10 minutes. My wife can go shopping and do some errands in the morning, and I will beat her back to the house (all while getting in 30-40 miles of single track). The only time I ever need to load my bike is when I go to a hare scramble. Not that my wife cares, but she goes out shopping and visiting her family longer than I ride.

Fortunately I have a good riding network of friends, and get lots of invites to go places, but 95% of the time, everyone just comes to my place (which selfishly makes it easy for me, but gives them a safe place to ride as well). Plus, I would also say that the pine barrens has some of the best single track anywhere in the country (all sand dirt loam) and no rocks. It constantly changes and you will meet dozens of people all from the ECEA (east coast enduro association) riding on any given weekend in my woods.

The only problem I have is even with a couple dozen folks on my text lists, I still sometimes find it difficult to find people to ride with on the weekends...priorities people!!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM

I'm still at the age where i ride with my dad however everyone my dad and i ride with are all in late 40's to early 60's. one day we saw an ex motocross guy who if i remember correctly in his 70's. so by the sounds as long as we keep on going we wont stop! unless we run into a tree or a rock, but you should not do that... obliviously.