Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Need help learning to stand up!!

The sitting down part i got figured out!! It's the standing part thats got me miffed. I ride in New Hampshire which means a lot of roots and rocks. When it's wet then its slipppery roots and rocks. Most trails are on the tight side too. In the wide open standing isn't such a big deal. It's in the tight stuff where i run into problems. The two biggest problems are shifting while standing and trusting the front wheel not to wash out. I've followed riders who stand through sections that have me sitting so i know it can be done.

As far as shifting goes i have small feet. Size 8 so when standing on my arches my foot still doesn't reach the shifter. this means moving my foot off the peg to get up to the shifter. In rough sections that means riding on one foot which seems to move too much weight around and throws you off balance. It is a bit unsettling. Right now the shifter is level with the foot peg. I'm going to move it up about an inch to see if that helps. I'm curious "foot techniques" the stand up guys use to shift.

The other issue that "whigs" me out is being up on the pegs head over the headlight and having the front end slide around like it wants to wash out. Remember, lots of big 2 foot round pine trees to kiss with your face if my front wheel lets go. This may be bike set up issues. if so the suspension is on its way back from les. But if not ... Whats up wit dat???