Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Yes Rick that would take the fun out of it, but also the GG was not my first choice for the conversion. I was ready to buy a new Beta 525. Problem with that was lack of parts availability. Like the KTM 525, you can't buy one SM ready. Although, the motor is from KTM getting anything else for the Beta is a mystery. I nixed the Beta idea and happened to stumble upon a used plated GG. I liked the ride and the balance of the bike and I liked the DRZ roots. What I didn't like was having the same problem with the GG as I had with the Beta. Supermoto Rotors, brakes, sprockets and wheels were all hard to find. So, I started with what I had, a DRZsm. Like I said above, the DRZ rear hubs allows for a 36t sprocket. The GG hub wouldn't.

Next. When it came to the front wheel, I thought about a Husky wheel They were the right size, but they were hard to find as well and so were aftermarket parts.

The obvious answer was to go KTM. Like the Japanese bikes all the OEM parts are available online and so are all the aftermarket goodies. Once I sorted out my wheels, I wouldn't have any more parts availability problems. And replacement parts and wheels were only an EBAY away.

I could have gone the easy way?? and bought a set of hard to find GG wheels, but since I had to buy a set of wheels anyway, why not buy the setup I really wanted. I did contact a number of online wheel suppliers and some were willing to make something up for me, most were not. But what would I do if the setup didn't work right. With doing it myself, I knew I'd get it right.

Ebay has been extremely helpful with KTM SM parts. In the long run, the cost will probably be the same but I will end up with a DRZsm with a cush hub that will also fit the GG.

Tony