Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Angry Nambotin chain sponsor

What the heck kind of chain is Nambotin running?
Three DNFs due to chain problems.
Now he is in 4th place in the WEC races.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Might be a less than optimal chain guide design...

jeff
Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
What the heck kind of chain is Nambotin running?
Three DNFs due to chain problems.
Now he is in 4th place in the WEC races.
I was thinking the same thing. I hope he can recover a few places in France.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM

He should run Les's guide bracket. I whacked mine hard dropping off a ledge Sunday, stoipped and could not beleive there was no damage.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Les isn't making them any longer - but it would be a good design for GasGas to emulate. The honda XR chain guide, in my opinion, is the best design ever made...

jeff
Old 09-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Les isn't making them any longer - but it would be a good design for GasGas to emulate. The honda XR chain guide, in my opinion, is the best design ever made...

jeff
I made one myself from 2 bits of 6mm equal angle ali extrusion, back to back. Those of us old enough to have ridden during the seventies and eighties will well remember the agony of bouncing up rutted rocky tracks on a Yammy DT360 (or such like) only to have the chain come off the rear sprocket and jam itself around the countershaft. It wasn't unknown for engine cases to be smashed in this way. It was a godsend when bikes started coming out with these moulded plastic chain guides ( that and getting the countershaft nearer to the swingarm pivot!). I took the stock dangly guide off my gasser before I even rode it, and replaced it with an XR guide.
I often wonder why lessons learnt in the past seem to get forgotten - applies to life in general, not just bikes!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

jeff
Cody Webb lost his chain, too, in the last Endurocross. Anybody got one of the guides that you are talking about that I can send to Spain?
Clay
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 AM

Clay,

Its an adapter bracket that was designed and sold by LTR for some time that allows the use of a Honda XR chain guide. Its as close to indestructable as you can get. I'd be willing to bet one is sitting on a shelf somewhere at an old dealer, my brother found an LTR impeller this way.

I have been wondering if Les would consider making a run of them now that the prospect of GG sales looks good.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Site Sponsor

We use the mc bracket and tm design works chain guide and "knock on wood" we have had no issues. I believe moose offers the same bracket. Pu part #01-017BRK We are in the northeast and I am pretty sure its rocky up here. Hope he gets it ironed out.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 AM

The big difference between the LTR bracket/Honda guide and the TM Design Works parts I have seen is the LTR/XR Guide is all stiff plastic with a rubber bottom slider and NO METAL frame, so it does not bend and stay bent in a hit. It simply flexes slightly and returns to position in even the most severe impacts. I've found some bent bolts occasionally on disassembly that mount the rubber slider puck to the sides but you would never know by looking at it. The one on my '07 is the same one I installed on my '03 when it was new. Over seven years on two bikes, thats how tough it is, and its nasty here.