Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Fracture of talus and lateral malleol

I mentioned few weeks ago that I broke my ankle. Well at first it seemed that I didn't have serious damage in my ankle. X-ray pictures showed only small fracture in my left foots lateral malleol. Thats lower part of fibula. Prognose of recovery was good and I might be riding again In four - five weeks.

But sadly that wasn't the whole story. After painful week I decided to contact orthopedist because pain begin to be stronger and location was more in front side of foot than in ankle. Doctor ordered CT-scan.

Few days ago I got the results. Broken talus bone. That was kind of big step back to me. Four weeks more with crutches. The fracture of tallus is not common. It's usually found from victims who have survived from aviation accident or fallen from high places. Some are caused by motorcycle accidents. Bone needs lots of energy to break. I had luck because fracture was located in the area that could heal pretty well.

My accident was not so bad. I did just take little too much speed to jump mx track and flat landed from hights. My suspension was set to enduro and it was too soft to absorb enough energy. Both front and rear bottomed and I felt big crunch from my left ankle. I rode to side of track where one of my friend was watching and told him to hold my bike. I took few steps and felt crunching in my ancle. I had to sit down and I told my friend to call an ambulance. Luckily I was riding with my three firefighter friends and they gave me good first aid before ambulance arrived.

My ankle didn't need any surgery (att least yet). If all goes well I'll be riding next time maybe in middle of october. So this season is gone. Juha Salminen had same kind of fracture in season 2010 and recovery to WEC took two and half months. I'm hoping to recover in same time. Physiotherapy starts one and half weeks from now and Im trying to keep in some kind of shape. Mentally it's hard because there is not so much that I can do right now...

Now I have good time to think and do some improvements to my gasser. I think next is to get that magneto side crank seal glued. After that I'm going to correct my cylinder height, get ports matched and get my cylinder head milled in to right squish...

By the way there is something different in -13 cylinder. It really was "snappier" than -12 cylinder... and it wasn't just the thing that is was new http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...s-Fracture.htm

-Timo-

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...

Last edited by GasTimppa; 07-03-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added a link

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hope you recovery quickly! At least you have the time to work on the bike without being able to ride it for a while.. Gotta see something on the bright side
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Heal up soon ... just about in time for the ice riding!
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Overshooting an mx jump with enduro suspension is nasty business.

And yes, the '13 is a totally different beast than the '12. I get to ride the both back to back, and boy does that '13 rip.

You might be able to keep the cardio training going. When swede Anders Eriksson crashed badly in 2006 he broke his femur and what not. During the time he had his leg in a cast he continued to workout in a rowing machine, letting the cast slide on a serving tray beside the machine while keeping the other foot on the machine.

Heal up soon.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes Bergerhag my plan is about the same. Rowing machine is the best in my situation. But now I'm doing some "fishing exercise" here in northern Finland Still can drive boat and cast lure My plan is to recover so that I can participate Ranneslattsloppet again. Maybe we'll meet there! -Timo-

- S3 Head

Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If juha rides as quick as he does after your similar injury, you have no excuses. If they hadnt changed wec to almost an 8 stage hare scramble, juha, knight and sestola would win everything. Flat out on return!! No looking back. Good luck with the physio, that hurts the most.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha

Last edited by Simmo737; 07-05-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: All edits due to g$&&& apple autocorrect.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Unfortunatly I went through something similar. Mine was worse but that is another story. From first hand experience I would keep that ankle elevated as much as you can in these early stages with a lot of ice on and off. This helped me tremendously so that when it was time to begin walking again ( in my case 8 months later ) the ankle was healed better. The damage within the ankle will heal better when the swelling is gone. another tip is as early as your md lets you try to slowly begin to gently stretching and keep your mobility otherwise you will be super stiff. If you end up doing any physical therapy it will be easier for you. Just some tips from someone who has been there fwiw . Hope you heal up and get back out there soon.

Wheelieman
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks Wheelie. I have pressure sock witch keeps swelling away and I'm no more taking opiats at daytime. I'm using my ankle just as much I'm alloved to. I think worst would be just laying in bed. And thats one thing that I just can't do. I've got too much to do.

Now I'm in countryside at my mother in laws place. We were just fishing with my family. Got some nice fish. Week
of that therapy and then physical training begins. I think that now I need that small break

- S3 Head

Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Just small update. I got today EVS AB05 anklebrace from one of my supporters. WOW. I can walk again! Allmost feels as good that I could take a little training session with my Gasser... Or maybe not yet... As Jacobi said now I have time to do some nice things to my bike. I just checked port timing properly. With -13 cylinder porting with .50 bottom gasket... just perfect. Squish was not so perfect 2,5mm with original head and some .2mm less with S3 tightest insert. It's time to do some millingwork

- S3 Head

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

First small ride today. Ankle joint still a bit sore when bending it, but not bad. Mods I made to my bike were succesfull. Att least it didn't get worse I have to say that this was the longest two months of my life (so far).

Now just practise and training (and work off course).

- S3 Head