Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Marzocchi-Now U.S. owned.

This is off Tenneco's web site.
The deal is final.

TENNECO ANNOUNCES POTENTIAL ACQUISITION OF SUSPENSION BUSINESS OF GRUPPO MARZOCCHI

Lake Forest, IL, Brussels, Belgium, July 10, 2008 – Tenneco Inc. (NYSE: TEN) announced today that the company has entered into a preliminary agreement to purchase the suspension business of Gruppo Marzocchi, an Italian-based worldwide leader in supplying suspension technology in the two-wheeler market.

The agreement announced today is the initial step in the purchase process. A final agreement and closing on a potential purchase of Marzocchi’s suspension business is dependent on a number of conditions and the legally-required consultation with the works councils representing Marzocchi employees. Those consultations will begin immediately.

This acquisition would be made through Tenneco’s assumption of the debt associated with Marzocchi’s suspension business, which was approximately $15 million as of April 30, 2008.

An acquisition by Tenneco of Marzocchi’s suspension business would leverage the brand, technology and product synergies of the two companies, providing customers with integrated suspension systems (forks, shock absorbers and elastomers) for motorcycles and other applications.

Tenneco is a $6.2 billion global manufacturing company with headquarters in Lake Forest, Illinois and approximately 21,000 employees worldwide. Tenneco is one of the world’s largest designers, manufacturers and marketers of emission control and ride control products and systems for the automotive original equipment market and the aftermarket. Tenneco markets its products principally under the Monroe®, Walker®, Gillet™ and Clevite®Elastomer brand names.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

It will be interesting to see how this develops. I can't say more at this point.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM

tenneco is in the gasline business .. maybe they figured with all the ohrv's riding the gaslines they might as well try and make some money off them!!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
It will be interesting to see how this develops. I can't say more at this point.
You work at Tenneco also? My dad does and lives in temperance also. If it goes thru I can get some nice forks for free!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I wonder if this may be part of the decision for Gas Gas models to now be equipped with Sachs.

They may have caught wind of an impending sale?

Will Husky follow?

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
tenneco is in the gasline business .. maybe they figured with all the ohrv's riding the gaslines they might as well try and make some money off them!!
Gasline business??? Umm, I don't think so.

Tenneco, Inc. as it exists today is focused on ride control products (suspension systems and elastomers) and exhaust products (hot and cold ends). Many years ago, Tenneco was a major conglomerate with a packaging side called Pactiv, a shipping business, and a bunch of stuff that I can't recall. In about 1999, Tenneco Automotive as it exists today, was spun-off into an automotive business focusing on ride control and exhaust products. The named was later changed to just Tenneco, Inc. in order to remove the notion of only serving the automotive market. Because Tenneco also supplies to markets such as railway, large commercial vehicle, and off-road vehicles (construction/agricultural). The two-wheeler market is a great opportunity for Tenneco that I wished took place a long time ago. If the acquisation of Marzocchi goes through, which I hope it does, there should be a good marriage of technologies from both companies. I don't see Marzocchi (both its name or products) changing anytime soon. On the contrary, Tenneco should help to get their products on more OE-equipped vehicles.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motarded1 View Post
You work at Tenneco also? My dad does and lives in temperance also. If it goes thru I can get some nice forks for free!
Yeah, I work with your dad. He's one of the "moto guys" that hangs around our engineering department. We got a pretty good collection of riders now and we have moto video viewings at lunchtime. You're missing all of the fun!

Are you going to the MotoGP in Indy? If so, I will probably see you there.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Gasline business??? Umm, I don't think so.

from wikipedia

Tenneco, Inc. was founded as the Tennessee division of the Chicago Corporation in 1943 to build a natural-gas pipeline from Texas to West Virginia. The automotive division was spun off from Tenneco Inc. in 1991 along with the packaging, energy, natural gas, and shipbuilding divisions.

One of their pipelines runs through my back yard. The markers always said tenneco

Looks like they sold off the gas transmission biz

http://www.tennesseeadvantage.com/default.asp
Old 09-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
One of their pipelines runs through my back yard. The markers always said tenneco

Looks like they sold off the gas transmission biz
Yeah, that was the old Tenneco. They had their hands into everything. Now, it is just suspension and exhaust business.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 AM

My late father-in-law was a Chem E that worked for a Tenneco branch here in NJ in the '70s - '80s. I think he worked on the development of PVC and its applications, like wire insulation, plumbing, etc. that is common today. They must have had a lot of smaller businesses that were sold/spun off.