Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteingarage View Post
Maybe Dave can get me a new motor for my 06. the same exact thing happened to me the impeller shaft sheared off at the pin and blew a hole into the bottom of the inner clutch cover.
damn .... I don't need to see this .. After a summer of riding my 144 I just dusted off my 06 and started riding it again ... I'm still getting funky looking tranny oil ... although the two oil test samples I sent out said no glycol in the oil ... Nothing looked funny when I pulled the primary and changed out the water pump seal last winter though ..... hmmm wondering .....

Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
sounds identical to what happened to me. did the bike take a slight lay down on the right side before all this happened or did it just let go?

It could have and knowing where it happen it is very likely. What.... you say...... how could I not know? A riding buddy's bike broke down on the trail, since I had to get back home early I lent him my bike and limped his back to the parking lot. He showed up a few hours later at my house with oil spilling out of the large hole in the clutch cover. Stuff happens.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM

yup i do and its very frustrating, it always seems like something. some guys i ride with never have a problem and they make fun saying how hard on sh it i am. but this seems like its been rearing its ugly head a little to much lately. gasgas europe was trying to say it was initially my fault because i never should have tried to start it after i found the kick was jammed. ya right i say to them DO YOU RIDE????? i am stuck in the bush on know were near quad friendly terrain, was i just suppose to lean it up against a tree and go grab the company chopper to lift er outta there? just like you said stuff happens!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 AM

This just in..............I decided to ask my buddy the circumstances that led up to the bike locking up........... Low and behold he was in a rocky uphill section and laid the bike on it's right side. Nothing ruff but an average tip over.

My guess is that the case bearing wore out and when it hit the right side of the bike caused it to slide out of the case and misalign enough for the shaft to snap.

I say this because everything from the pin in the shaft outward to the impeller was still intact and good.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

It would seem to me (exception to Nambo - Trev ) that water pump maintenance would be important on a bike with a few years riding on it. My mercury out boards were the same , new pump every couple of seasons on it. With that said , i know i'll be doing mine with a full tear down of the pump and replacement of the bearing (like a 10$ part) and shaft if any sign of wear , at least once a year , besides it gives me a good feeling to KNOW that every thing will hold up to what i want out of it. I usually do a annual maintenance of many bigger things anyways , like swingarm and linkage tear down and clean and regrease and replace any worn items , suspension tear down and servicing , and also clutch tear down and check the plates. Steering head tear down and regrease , New wheel bearings once a year or more if i get lazy with my maintenance after a lot of water crossings with not pulling the axles and drying everything out afterwords , but that is my own fault. I do many other things on a more regular basis , But i invested huge coin into this bike and i will get rid of it after 2 years max and get another one , and i get a very good trade in price when i do each time because it is almost over maintained , im just anal that way , but if you ever get one of my bikes from Dave Fair , it will have been ridden hard but it wont look like it and everything should be tight still on it. But i will add the water pump to my list just to be safe and it isnt a big deal unless it does fail

sorry to hear about another one , but it could be like KTM 300 Piston and they have a habit of breaking the crown i have heard , hence the NEW BETTER PISTON for 2011 and a slew of other problems KTM's have

Once again sorry to hear about the failure , but i wouldn't hesitate to buy another gasser for a second about this , as it seems from what im hearing to be a rather rare problem and mostly with bikes a few years old , as it did happen to my 06 shortly after selling it , but it was just a bearing replacement as it never did any case damage and we were lucky. But the bike had 3 years of riding every weekend on it at the time so , back to what im going to do once a year

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 AM

aflica, go point on checking the water pump. I also do most of the same maintenance you do over winter. I am not sure you would see anything wrong but it wouldn't hurt to inspect it. Now that I am thinking of it, maybe it was the c-clip that just corroded allowing play in the shaft.