Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Steering Stabilizer?

I'm wondering how many people are using a steering stabilizer on their Gas Gas.

I already have a Scotts, but I will have to buy the mounting hardware for the GG. Do you use it for the rocks and roots or to stop high speed head shake? I know the suspension setup is a big factor regarding head shake and deflection, but does the SS still seem to help even when your GG is well setup?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Although my GG is by far the best handling bike I've ever had, I'll never own another bike without a Scotts.

I have it dialed in the way I like for both high and low speed, however its the high speed "saves" that immediately remind me what a great investment a steering damper is on any bike...excellent handling or not.

'06 EC 300
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM

I agree with Barry.

I love the way the Gasgas handles and IMO, it is one of the best handling bikes out there. But, the Scotts is one safety item I wont ride without.

It does allow me to hit the rocky section with more speed and no fear.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

I use the RTT stablizer with the remote switch. This is my first damper I have used. I do like it for high speed, for low speed technical stuff it is set on 1.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM

The question isn't- should you put a damper on a given dirtbike?
The question is- How fast can you save up, buy it and get it installed?

I've used GPR, MotoSportz and Scotts dampers since 2006. They're all good, but I prefer the Scotts as it's high speed & back to center valving works best IMO.

All dirtbikes should have a damper on them IMO.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
I agree with Barry.

I love the way the Gasgas handles and IMO, it is one of the best handling bikes out there. But, the Scotts is one safety item I wont ride without.

It does allow me to hit the rocky section with more speed and no fear.
Exactly my thought
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM

I run a Scotts. No matter how good a bike handles and how stable it feels, you can not beat a dampener when you hit a log in the grass.

Dampeners for nervous bikes was invented by KTM dealers trying to hide their bad bike geometry and sell more product.

Also the other big thing people don't realize a dampener does, is the way it steers the rear of a bike. It controls the hinge between the handle bars and rear wheel (steer head stem).

The easiest way to make sense of this is to come out of a deep sandy rut, loft the front and where you point the front tyre, the rear wheel will follow much more quickly as their is resistance to the back crossing up.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 PM

A Gasgas with a Scott's on front and a trials tire on back is like cheating! And, if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin :-)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I agree with all that say it's a good safety device that you may never know how it saved you but the main reason for me is what Keg was alluding to: The extra amount of steering precision it gives is huge. As a former racer and lover of tight trails I find I can hit my lines much more consistently with a damper especially as the day gets long in the saddle. I swore I would never ride with one as it would "hurt my preferences" but I bought a GasGas with one and loved it. Everyone who rides it off of their own bike cannot believe how they can put the wheels anywhere they want so they are good to have for any type of riding. In sum, it will help everywhere with the GG and it will seem like you are on rails if you use decent tires.

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Fastway damper on my 2011 6 days.
It is non-intrusive while riding, which I like.

I had a high speed get off a few weeks ago. I felt like the damper really saved my @$$.

Like KEG mentioned, the damper keeps the bike straight in the mud and sand.

Here's my write up....
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...hlight=fastway