Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Ridiculous Newb Question

Guys,

First time post and it's a ridiculous question so I expect an appropriate amount of abuse!

Basically, how do I start my 2011 EC300? I've had it since last August and it started and ran pretty well a couple times but then it quit starting and I can't figure out why.

Fuel injection has spoiled me and I've gotten soft since my previous bike was press and play but this one is killing my battery and my kicking foot just trying to get it started.

So, what is the procedure? I have been pulling the enrichment knob, cracking the throttle a little and pressing the starter. I get a couple puts and then the starter gear disengages. This goes on for about 30 tries and then the battery is too weak to keep going. Then I switch to the kick starter and that goes on until my foot is throbbing.

I have fresh gas and a new spark plug (verified spark) but it won't so much as putt like it wants to start. How do I verify that fuel is getting into the carb? I did pull the fuel inlet line and gas comes out so I know it's getting that far but I'm not sure about the rest of the carb.

All I can guess at this point is that the float is stuck shut or I'm simply not following the correct starting procedure.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Lean it over till it pees out the vent tube maybe pilot jet is plugged
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post

So, what is the procedure? I have been pulling the enrichment knob, cracking the throttle a little . . . !

-
Put your right hand in your pocket

Don't touch the throttle until its actually running.

Start from cold with kick only.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Maaaate!

Few variables... but if it previously started easily and ran well, and all that has changed is that time has passed you have most likely got..

a) stale fuel in the carb bowl, or b) a gummed up pilot jet, or c) both..

Take the tank off, take the cap off the carb and the slide/needle out, loosen the clamps each side and turn the carb body to give access to the bowl nut 14mm. Back it out, old fuel will come out. Pull the main jet and pilot and inspect.. clean and replace.

My starting procedure is as follows.

Fuel on, choke on, turn the engine over slowly a couple times.. stopping on TDC. No throttle and a firm kick through. It will fire.. and I will then modulate the choke and throttle while it comes up to temp and will run with the choke off.

Good baseline jetting specs help.. but odds are the pilot is just gummed up.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Thank you all for the useful replies!

The guy I bought the bike from is an experienced mechanic and the bike was running perfectly.

I've just been using the same procedure as I do starting my chainsaw or weed whacker which is choke on, half throttle until it fires then slowly remove choke as it warms.

I'll try the above suggestions and if all else fails, I'll remove and clean the carb.

Will report back any progress, thanks again!

-Evan
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Don't shoot me for asking this!!! Did you remember to turn the fuel tap on?

Well you did say you're used to fuel injected and they don't usually have fuel taps!

When you've been trying to start it and you remove the spark plug is it dry or wet? Does it smell of fuel?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Don't shoot me for asking this!!! Did you remember to turn the fuel tap on?

Well you did say you're used to fuel injected and they don't usually have fuel taps!
Actually, that's one of the things I was careful to check. On some of the bikes I've owned in the past, it's been obvious which direction to move the lever but it's difficult to see on this one. I had to literally stick my phone into the frame and take a picture of the front of the valve since the labels face away from the side you can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
When you've been trying to start it and you remove the spark plug is it dry or wet? Does it smell of fuel?
No wetness or fuel smell.