Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Default 200 EC Auto clutch? Flywheel weight?

I recently bought an '01 200 EC on a whim. I love the way the bike "feels" except for the forks, which I will soon be correcting, and the lack of good bottom end. This bike loves stalling! MY 250 EXC never stalled but always would hit neutral when I would downshift on steep hillclimbs and subsequently crash so it's a fair trade-off.This is the first bike that I have ridden where I actually use the clutch for other purposes than shifting gears-I feel like I'm gonna burn it out soon. Should I add a flywheel weight and larger sprocket? I have modest mechanical skills but can follow any diagram really well. Is there a reference on the internet to walk me through the process of adding the weight? Also, what do you all think about an auto clutch for this bike? I think if I can get this bike dialed in right it will be better than any of my KTM's or Honda's so I don't mind putting a little money into an older, barely ridden kick-azz bike. Thanks...

Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Bottom end power can somewhat be correct with an enlarged valve cover. Available from LTR.

If it stalls to easyly is your idle set too low ?

Also hows the jetting ?, if your at the bottom end is not right you will loose power.
The LTR jetting kit has been succesful with a number people here on this forum.
Might be worth a try, from memory its about USD35.
Do a search for jetting here and you will be amused for hours..... Lots of very good info tho.

Off course, as you say, your gearing might be too high. Hard to say without knowing your riding style and speed.

Btw I use an Rekluse auto clutch and absolute love it and would recommenced it to anyone who want to listen. Occasionally they come up for sale (preloved ) on this forum.
05 Pampera 250
Old 06-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Also is the gearbox oil level set right. Should be about 0.9L. The older manuals say 1 Liter, but you get a lot of clutch drag with too much oil in the gearbox.
05 Pampera 250
Old 06-02-2007, 07:14 PM

What gearing are you running? I have an 01 EC200 and here's what I've done. The bike makes great low end and will climb anything a 250 can climb (usually). Gearing: 13/52, LTR Powervalve cover, revamped jetting (not LTR, but similar), DE ignition/flywheel. The LTR powervalve cover makes a HUGE difference on the 200. My bike went from a lightswitch to a stump puller. It has taken some getting used to as I don't need to feather the clutch as much anymore.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

In regards to your tranny oil question I remember having a conversation with Jim Cook awhile back about running a full litre of oil in the gearbox and how it helps improve the longjevity of the bearings in the older model year tranny's. I also subscribed to his recomendation of running Rotella 15-40 full synthetic motor oil in the gearbox and found it to work really well as a tranny oil ,at least as well as my all time favorite Amsoil 0-40. As a side benifit I found that I can start my 03 mc 250 in gear, something that has been a problem with using most other oils. I sure wish wish I could say the same about my 300 with the head mod. There is no way come hell or high water that that beast will start in gear, and that dear readers can be a real p.i.t.a. when you stall out on some nasty slippery uphill ,especially when I am using the tall mx seat. I end up doing funky leg work like one of those Dudes on dancing with the stars.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM

For tranny oil I run ATF Type F. It's cheap, so I change it every ride or every second ride and it works well. Not much clutch drag.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

WideBear- Do you find your 300 stalls a bit more
after you got the head mod ?? I think mine did.
But it does have more low end, definately.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefgil123 View Post
WideBear- Do you find your 300 stalls a bit more
after you got the head mod ?? I think mine did.
But it does have more low end, definately.
It for sure stalls more than my 250 mc and when the 300 was stock, mostly when i'm tired and I can only attribute that to the much higher compression . I do tend to run my idle pretty high to compensate ,thing is with that crew I ride with one little mistake and you've been passed.